Brett asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Please check my English.?

I'm studying English.  Please check if there's any mistake in the sentence below.  If any, please show how I should change it.

"We use language as a tool to express things in our own way, just like we use scissors to cut paper into whatever shape we like."

Thank you in advance.

It's very common but not yet accepted to use 'like' in this way. Perhaps it will be acceptable in the next 10 or 20 years. But for the moment it's not correct, and you should say, 'just AS we use scissors'.

• M.

👍 Aye

"We use language as a tool to express things in our own way, just AS we use scissors to cut paper into whatever shapeS we like."

No "check IF", it makes no sense because 'checking' would be the result of there being mistakes.  Check TO SEE if . . . 

. . . just like we use scissors to cut paper into whatever shapeS we like."

it sounds good to me

• oikoσ

Well, two out of two people, so far, have missed the one mistake. I'm not surprised; most Americans, at least, would. The word "like" should be "as"; "like" is only used to refer to a noun. This is a rule that is very often violated.

I've been speaking English my whole life! This sentence seems perfect as is, but you could swap out the words "in our own way" for "uniquely" to use fewer words. It's smart to get your point across using the least amount of words as possible. 

Good job, and keep up the good work! :)

While the subject is a little weird, it's perfectly grammatically correct!