promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Filing Taxes?

Before I met my wife she filed Federal Income Taxes with a 999- Social Security number given to her by the govt after she entered the country illegally. She paid taxes for years with this 999- number. A few years after we got married she started her citizenship applications and the govt gave her a normal Soc Sec number so we used the new Soc Sec to file taxes electronically. The IRS rejected our return before my wife’s Soc Sec from last year doesn’t match the number from this year. What should we do?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The government does not give SSN's to illegal immigrants. She filed using a fake number, and she told you that they gave it to her, but they didn't. If it was legit, the two numbers would be linked. File on paper and be prepared to explain the change. Ask your wife to be honest with you.

• NA
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

ITIN number start with a 9.  When an SSN is issuef, the records are only merged on request.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

File a paper tax return and attach a photocopy of her Social Security card.

• NA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

And when you tried to file electronically, you were asked to list her prior year AGI.  With nothing on the tax form to link her to an ITIN (or any other non-SSA number), the IRS won't find anything and gives a mismatch.

Choice #1, file by mail.

Choice #2, try $0 for prior year AGI. 

Choice #3, write the IRS as ask them to merge the records for the previous number with the newly issued number.  Send the request to the ITIN unit in Austin.  This takes time, so I would still file by mail.

• 1 month ago

You should file it on paper, by mail, in an envelope, with the proper postage. Just like everyone did before there was electronic filing.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The government has never issued social security numbers with a 999...

That might be how her ITIN number started (not a SSN).

You can contact the IRS or your immigration attorney, to see how you are supposed to file taxes. 

• A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you need to get copies of all of the paperwork given to you by immigration, and talk to the IRS

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.