Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 month ago

sociology?

Why do you think there are people afraid of multiculturalism?

Because they like what they’re used to

Perhaps because the more homogeneous a culture is, the more social unification there is, which means there is less crime and more of a will for collectivism.  The more heterogeneous a society, the more there is social conflict, more crime, and more of a drive to protect oneself over the group.

• Zirp

because fearmongering demagogues tell them to.

Would you really want to live some place where everybody wears the same clothes as you, listens to the same music as you, goes to the same church as you, eats the same dishes as you, plays the same sports as you, watches the same TV-series as you, speaks only  your only language, etc ?

maybe they havent met a lot of people from different cultures

Deep rooted fear of losing the self. The ego tries very hard to form and hold a strong conceptualization of self. I am a person who likes chocolate, and cars, and hates people who run red lights, etc. I think because deep down we all realize it is just made up. We are a collection of what other people have told us to believe, and impulse decisions influenced by biochemistry. There is no true self at the center, and that is terrifying, so the ego builds a little nest of strands to clutch. I am male, I am tall, I would never to xyz, I have a favorite food, etc. Multiculturalism, and other things that make us feel smaller and less defined, threaten the ego's protection layers. At some point the idea of different cultures breaks down, because we all have a unique one, and we all have the same one, and many layers between all at once. It's just a clot of semantics, perspectives, and arbitrary definitions concealing an emptiness behind it all. That is frightening, so rather than face that, it is easier to hide behind the ego nest, and poke at whatever is in reach (often whatever thing is not like whatever we feel is prominent about our nest at that moment).