How hot should my heat gun be to shrink window tint?

I just bought a heat gun cause I know that is what's used for window tinting I just don't know how hot it should be.

• Goerge

You should let people know specifics because a Wagner heat gun will have different heat setting when compared to a generic China-girl gun.

Suffice to say you should set it to it's highest settings. A hair dryer on high isn't hot enough. Start about 12" away from the tint and keep your gun moving AT ALL TIMES in a gently sweeping back and forth motion. Right now you are supposed to be using a trash piece of glass so get away from your car. It would behoove you to pick up a car window from the junk yard. Make sure your surface is perfectly clean. Many cleaning products have fragrances and heavy cleansers that can be left behind. Careful.

Set heat gun to high.

Start about 12 inches away and slowly move down to no closer than 4 inches from your project AND KEEP THAT GUN MOVING. Generally speaking you should be between 4 and 6 inches but products do vary. Maybe watch some well reviewed Youtube video too, which you probably already have. Y!A isn't that good so I can only assume you are covering all your bases.

Move the heat gun around in small circles.

Practice with a small piece of film.

• F

Badly done window tint with wrinkles looks terrible. If you need to ask basic questions such as this, you will end up that way. Not only will you waste your money on film, you'll waste time putting it on and about 3x as long to scrape it off again.Pay a professional.

Start with the lowest setting, and increase if it doesn't work.  Are you sure it is needed?  Usually tinting is applied with soapy water, a head gun isn't used.  The stuff that insulates is put on with a heat gun so it goes over the molding, so it can be taken off for the summer.  I would look up the directions for what you have, as it should say.  MSDS sheets should have all the info on heat temp, if you need.

Hold it 12 " away to see what happens. Then go closer carefully. Move the heat gun around in small circles.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Bill

Doesn't the window tint film come with instructions?