lemon asked in SportsRunning · 1 month ago

Shin splints?

Last cross country season, i got severe shin splints in my left leg. I tried resting them for like a week and kept running but they didn’t get better until the end of the season.

Our 2020 season starts in a few months so i’ve started my training. My shin splints came back but i CANT rest again. i just got back into training...

Do i just roll out and ice every night?

• .

You need to see someone about how to get it healed and what to change to reduce the chance of re-occurence. Continuing to workout and push through the pain or just ice to relieve it temporarily and continuing your same activity.

Some risk factors are:

"-an anatomical abnormality (such as flat foot syndrome)

-muscle weakness in the thighs or buttocks

-lack of flexibility

-improper training techniques

-running downhill

-running on a slanted surface or uneven terrain

-running on hard surfaces like concrete

-using inappropriate or worn-out shoes for running or working out

-participating in sports that have fast stops and starts (like soccer or downhill skiing)

Shin splints are also more likely to occur when your leg muscles and tendons are tired."

.

Without addressing the cause, you could do some serious damage. A good physical therapist should be able to help you address what's causing it and suggest things to do to avoid future issues, but you may want to see a doctor first to be sure it's not something more serious.

• Adam D

In addition to other recommendations, one of the things that can cause shin pain to flare up is doing too much too soon.  Trying to build your mileage too fast can cause shin splints, and as you've discovered, once they start, they're hard to get rid of.  When you start back running after time off, you have to start small and slow, and built slow.

See a physical therapist.  I developed shin splints around 2 years ago.  I spent several months in physical therapy recovering.  A physical therapist can assess you and recommend exercises and techniques to use to help you recover.  If you just get back into training, you're just going to do more damage.

Also, has your doctor made sure you only have shin splints and not stress fractures?  Untreated shin splints can cause stress fractures.  My doctor sent me for an MRI to be safe before we got too far into PT and treatment options.

• Eva

You might need to go for a gait analysis. You're putting strain somewhere where it's not supposed to be, especially since it's only in one leg. It might be as simple as changing your shoes, or you might have a leg that's a half inch shorter than the other, or your hips may be out of alignment. Once you have them, they're very difficult to get rid of if you can't find the cause.