promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 month ago

Child is almost 3 and doesn’t want to be potty trained!?

My almost 3 year old son will not go for potty training. He fights me about it and will yell no and hide in the corner! I have tried working with him for two months now and he still isn’t budging! His older sibling took over a year to potty train! Please give me some advice! Thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

He has an older sibling.  That might help, a lot.  Let him get dressed and prepared in the morning with his older sibling.  TRUST ME, as a younger brother, I wanted to be 100000% like my older brother.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Its on you, you're not being consistent enough.

• 1 month ago

Well for one he might not be ready for potty training yet so I'd leave it alone until he turns 3. However once he does turn 3 you can try showing him books about potty training and even take him to the store to show him the underwear that they have there, but be aware that he probably won't be ready then either because some kids aren't potty trained until they're 4, especially kids with developmental disabilities like autism. For example if you happen to come across underwear that has his favorite cartoon characters on them then show him those and he may be more interested in potty training. If all else fails then you may need to take a tougher approach by giving him a choice of either going in the potty or going in his pants ( yes I know how mean that sounds but it works). If he does end up going in his pants then go over to him and say " Well that was silly wasn't it". Don't scold him though, doing so is just giving him attention, remember, he needs to learn that doing bad things won't get him any attention. Also when he does decide to use the potty, you may need to help him with his clothes but leave the bathroom afterwards. After all you wouldn't want someone to be watching you use the bathroom so don't do it to him. I'd also recommend giving him praise for going in the toilet instead of his pants so that he learns that he'll get more attention for doing good things and you can even give him a reward for using the potty. I'm not talking about giving him a toy every time he uses the potty, what I mean is taking him to a place that he really enjoys such as the beach, the park, or even a local swimming pool or statepark.

• 1 month ago

He's a child, you are an adult, he has no right to refuse anything. He can't hide in a corner if you pull him out of the corner and make him do what needs to be done 

Rewarding and bribing never works since it only reinforces that bad behavior

That and since he's acting like a baby that means he can't do anything that babies would not be allowed to do. No going any where special, no TV, no nothing like that 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can't force a child to use the toilet. You can offer some incentives, but he can only decide on his own if he will participate. For our son, he also didn't want to train. He entered preschool with only partial training although it was actually required, and then decided on his own it was time.

We used a chart with spaces for stickers. For about 9 stickers which each represented a success on the toilet, he would get a small toy. Very small, but a reward. They were in a bag and he could choose which one he wanted. The stickers actually started being placed on the rim of the toilet tank cover, and then were put on the chart. Of course, on the rim of the tank cover, he could easily see them. It was only because of the condensation that we moved them. It was actually a little "decorative" to have them on the rim - lol.

You an try a reward system, but if you push it, you will only make it worse. Let him choose when he is ready to be trained, then you will both win. 

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

He already knows how to let his business go. That's not what you have to and are trying to teach him. What we have to teach our kids when potty training them is how to understand *when* it's time to go in the bathroom, before letting it go. How they learn that is we have to keep a close eye on them and learn what the signs and expressions and body language they have when they're going to go and (do not yell and scream) teach them that that feeling they're having at that time is the bathroom alarm that tells them it's time to go to the potty room.

Our body's work systematically. Timing can be used to potty train a child. Our body's take about an hour to process food and separate the waste materials from it. So an hour after he eats find a nice, preferably fun, way to get him in the bathroom and sit on his thunderbowl.

Guide. Encourage. Play.

Don't yell, scream, and/or frustrate or make it stressful.

"It might be potty time. Do you think you have to go? Come on, lets go on the bowl and see if we can do it."

Offer a reward and give them the reward for the effort even if they end up not going. And give it time sitting on his go bowl. Let him and encourage him to sit there with play or read to him or play music...whatever kind of entertainment he'll sit there for or can sit there and do. When you make going potty a stressful thing, nobody wants stress, they're not going to do anything stressful. When our body's relax our body lets things go so when he relaxes it will happen and he'll get it. 'Oh. THIS is how you tell, and this is how it works! Now I get it!'.

Reward with cheers and happiness when he does it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.