Why do I keep failing standardized tests?

if you fail a standardized test does that mean you have a low IQ? I do well on my normal classes but when it comes to tests like SAT or Asvab I don’t seem to do well even when I study and take my time I don’t get it. I also don’t understand how people who don’t seem to care for their education score a higher grade than me when they did not study or practice. How is that possible and what does it mean???? It’s just something that’s getting on my nerves lately.

You know what those tests do, don't you? They test aptitude. That is, according to the dictionary, 'a natural ability to do something'. That means the abilities you were born with, not the ones you have learned. They do not measure intelligence, and they do not measure scholastic achievement. There is some overlap, no doubt, in any test of all three of those things, since how you do on one relies to some extent on the other two, but the SAT and Asvab are meant to measure your natural abilities. There really is no pass or fail on them.

If you get a high score on an aptitude test, it doesn't mean you will get good marks in school, and getting a low score on an aptitude test doesn't mean you will get low marks. People who work at things do better than their natural abilities suggest they will, and the reverse is also true. People who don't work at them do worse.

I will use myself as an example. My SAT score in mathematics was 79. Sounds good, right? You might think I'd do well at math. I did not. The highest mark I ever got in math in high school, which was when I took the SAT, was 55%, and that was the year I had a tutor. I don't even think I earned that 55%. I think they only gave me a bare passing math mark so I wouldn't fail the grade. I hated math, didn't do my homework, was generally a lousy student and therefore didn't get the grades I was probably capable of. People with half my SAT score did better in math than I did.

• Lili

You have no idea what you're talking about. For one thing, you cannot earn an SAT score of 79.

• Lili

You can't "fail" those tests; you can simply score low on the them.

And the answer is most likely to be the quality of your school.  You may be attending a school that hands out high grades for mediocre work -- that allows you to get away with so-so work in class.  This is always going to tell on standardized tests, which demand a certain level of education and knowledge in order to score well. 

No, the SATs are not an "aptitude" test. They are an assessment test, and what they are assessing is your basic level of academic achievement and thus ability in verbal and mathematical areas.

you are unique is all

• Hockey

Go talk to your school counselor.

• oikoσ

It may be the school that you go to. If the tests that are restricted to that one school are easy and the standardized tests flummox you, it is your school's fault. You might want to invest in tutoring before taking those standardized tests again.

• Lili

An excellent answer.  People who earn high grades but are having trouble scoring well on standardized tests are being failed by their schools, which are not imposing high academic standards.

Yes, you probably have a lower IQ. For some people, standardized tests come naturally. I would recommend studying the questions themselves as each SAT has pretty much the same exact questions with minor tweaks. The best way to study is to keep taking practice tests and go over your answers then repeat.