promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Which insurance company should I contact? The ins co. for car 1? The ins co. for car 2? Details below...?

My home was struck by car 2 and the house was damaged. This is how the accident occurred according to the police report. Car 1 ran a stop sign and hit car 2. Car 2's driver was stunned, lost control of car 2 and hit the house. Car 1's driver admitted fault and the police ticketed him. But car 2 actually hit the house. Car 1 did not make contact with the house. So whose insurance company should I contact.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Call your home insurance company.  Two reasons...

1) The contract you signed with your home insurance says you agree to let them know right away if your house is damaged.  It's in the contract, and you do not want to violate a contract with an insurance company.  

2) This is your first time dealing with this, but they deal with it all the time.  They'll get your house repaired, and they'll know which vehicle owner to go after in court.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

file against the responsible party's insurance.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Let your home insurance company handle it, seeking compensation from one or both of the other drivers (most likely #1 will pay the most). If they have insurance, it's up to them to file their own claims for coverage, or simply "write you a check".

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Your Home Owner's Insurance will figure it out.  That is what you pay them for.

• Poppy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In my book, you contact your home owners insurance and relay the insurance information for both cars. Let them figure out who is paying what. It will be the cars not the home owners that pay.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Both. Although your home insurance is not liable., they will help you if you have any problems

• Edna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I doubt that he's concerned about who is "liable"; he just wants to know who's going to pay to have his house repaired. Homeowner's  insurance covers this sort of thing, & he'll probably be paid by his Homeowner's Insurance company. Then, that company might go after the 2  drivers for reimbursement.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Contact your homeowner's insurance and let them sort it out.

• A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

First report this to your own homeowners insurance company, give them copies of police reports, pictures, etc, they might pay the damage and sue the driver, or tell you to file with car #2, let that insurance company either pay you and sue ins for car #1, or tell you to sue Car #1

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Car 2 might not have any "legal liability" for a crashed caused by #1.  Your insurance company will do the "filing" against others, once they have paid your claim.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Car 2's insurance to report your damage. You also need to contact your home owners insurance. If you're renting you need to contact your landlord if you havne't already because if you're renting renters insurance doesn't cover damage to the building it self it only covers your personal property like your furnture and personal appliances. The house isn't your property it's your landlords if you're renting. The landlords insurance and car 2's insurance need to cooperate to have any repairs done.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Where did OP say anything about renting? Car #2's insurance covers car #2, not the liability of the driver in Car #1.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You contact your insurance company. (You do have house insurance don't you?) They will take care of who and how to contact all parties for you. After all that is what you pay them for. 

• jimanddottaylor
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You would think that it would be that simple.  My experience last summer was that the police took 2 months to complete the report.  Then they would not release it to either insurance company.  I had to run between the police and the adjuster and the insurance companies. Then  negotiations started   

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Contact yours. Let them sort it out for you and file against the responsible party's insurance.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

dingdingdingding!  we have the winning answer here!  Technically your insurance files against the insured, who then make the claim on their own insurance, if they want to.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.