draulep asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

Why is Propithecus "surname" tattersallis ?

( sorry for the " surname " . . . ) 

jimZ -  I cannot give you best answer or  stars .-your answer doesn´t open to me ...

I hope you read my comments - thanks a lot !

I´m aware it´s not a "surname" . . . that´s a way of bringing the suject. -

I´m aware it´s not a surname - that´s why I put it in "  " . . . it was a way of bringing the question/subject. - thanks.

If, as you say, you're aware that tattersallis is not a surname, why do you call it a surname?  Tattersallis is properly called a trivial name or an epithet.  

• draulep

, pitty you don´t get it . . . - thank you.

• MARK

It is not a surname. It is the species name part of the scientific name of a species. All species have a two-word scientific name in Latin. The first word in the name indicates the genus to which the species belongs. In this case Propithecus is the name of a genus which includes all lemur-like prosimians call Sifakas. It is not unique as all species of the same genus will have Propithecus as the first word of the species name.

The second word indicates the species in the genus. Propithecus tattersalli is the name of a species of sifaka found in Northeastern Madagascar. It is often given the common name Golden-crowned Sifaka. The species name is often not unique. What is always unique is the combination of the two words in any species' name.