promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I’m three months late in car payments can I sell car without title to help pay down loan?

I got stuck with a lemon. 2017 Nissan Sentra sr turbo with transmission problems, the drivers side window doesn’t work, the door seals fell off, the steering wheel tilt broke, the door handle broke etc. do I have any options before repossession?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Yes you definitely can try, but the loan must be paid off in full with the proceeds of the sale and any extra you put in.  Car dealers do this type of thing every day. 

Private sales are harder to coordinate with a loan, but it can be done if you make arrangements with the bank and buyer to meet you act the physical location of the bank that services the loan.  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

First, if the mileage is low you probably still have a factory warranty and a dealer will repair it at no cost to you.

Second, even if the warranty has expired, you may still qualify under  "Lemon Laws".

Those "laws"  vary by State or Province, but you can check in your area to see what can be done to force the manufacturer to either repair the car or take it back.

As far as selling it....

The title is registered fully in your name only after all loans/liens are paid.

Until the title is transferred to you,  the vehicle belongs to the credit agency you borrowed from and you remain liable for the loan, even if you dispose of the car somehow.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

It is inaccurate to say "the vehicle belongs to the credit agency". It is collateral/security for the loan, giving them a lien on it, not ownership.

• 1 month ago

If the transmission is shot, take it to a dealer.

• Jerry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No, you technically don't own the car...you have to have the title to sell.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Only an idiot would buy a car without getting the title.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I have bought and sold numerous cars "without title", since they were antiques that didn't require anything more than a bill of sale.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No. You can't sell a vehicle you don't own and you don't own it until you pay it off. The title holder owns it.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You bought it with a loan. You own it. The lender has a lien on it.  Just like having a mortgage loan for a home: you own the home, they have a separate mortgage deed for title if you default.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What matters here is your loan payoff and the actual cash value of the car.  If you are upside down thousands you are unlikely to be able to sell it without lender approval and if you are 3 months behind, that seems unlikely.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

It has a 5 yr/60,000 mile power train warranty.  If the transmission is shot, take it to a dealer.

• 1 month ago

Nope. You can have it be repoed, which after missing three months, it's likely about to be.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

1 you can't sell something you don't own

2 you can't sell a car without a clean title

According to your previous questions you have bad luck with Nissans.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.