Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 3 months ago

How do I tell my community college I don't need remedial math?

I want to take the easiest math course in college, but I scored 1 point below the cut-off. It's not fair.

I took the math placement test, and I flunked advanced algebra but did well on Basic Algebra and Geometry and Statistics. They want me to first take a remedial class that issues ZERO CREDIT an costs the SAME AS THE REST OF MY FÚCKING CLASSES. I don't need it! I already know it!

Ah, yes- the cry of your generation- "It's not FAAAAAAAIR!" Lots of things in life are not fair. Now, you can talk to your advisor. If you were only 1 point below the cut-off, they may be able to do something about it. But the point of these tests is so that you don't get into a class you can't handle and fail, and so that the faculty members don't have to deal with students who are not prepared for the courses. So this is an effort to help you- if you pay for a class and fail it, you've still wasted your money. 

• L

You can't!  Until you can pass the placement test - you can't really take any classes at all.

You'll either have to suck it up and take it, or possibly try to find a different school with different requirements. I was going to have to do that when I applied for a university because my ACT score in math from high school was too low. However, I hated that I had to PAY and take a class that wasn't even going to count toward any credit. So, I changed the school I went to. I wound up being able to take a different math course at this different college that did actually count for credit, then I transferred back to the university that I originally had wanted to go to. 

It's kind of cheating the system a little bit, but I just couldn't deal very well with the thought of having to pay full price for a class that I was getting no credit in. The sad thing is that I'm actually really good at math--I was a Mathlete in high school--I just tested poorly in that category of the ACT. I got a 31 in the English portion. Weird stuff. 

"I withdraw from college".

I recommend to improve your math skills, is to drive a lot of cars. Or drive a car a lot. At least 70 hours before day 1 of math class. Or at least 200 hours before your next math test/examination. I recommend to drive 20 hours in your car, if you have one, or rent a car if you don't. Then study math for 10 hours after you drive for 20 hours. I recommend practice math worksheets with answers. Make sure you study solving for x, geometry, Pythagorean theorem, distance formula, rise/run, slope, tangent lines (algebra based), what is velocity/acceleration, imaginary numbers, complex numbers, matrices (determinants), quadratic formula, sin, cos, tan, angle of elevation, angle of depression, radian to degrees, and polynomial expressions.

Good luck on the math placement test. Oh, they don't let you retake the test, try bribing them. If not, take a physics class then the next semester or quarter ask them to retake the same math placement test again.

The math placement test is how they place you. STudy more and retake the placement test.

• TedEx

Please do go on with your sad story

• Laurie

If you “knew it” you would have scored higher on the placement test.

• drip

Ask if it is a requirement. At some CC it is a suggestion, not requirement depending on your score.  

Ask if you can take the placement exam again.  Usually, (even at CC) once you get to a full time student status you pay one tuition fee for 12-18 credits.  So it is possible you are not paying more to take the class. 

You may be required to take the class.  So you either do it or not attend this school.

Go talk to your college adviser.

Sorry but what  is not fair? You knew the score needed, you scored lower. Everyone who score lower than the required score is in the same boat as you. 

Retake the placement test. Study this time. If you fail it again, it's time to face facts: you need to be in remedial math. 

• Hockey

Stop whining. Quit being an idiot. If you failed the test, you need remedial math. And, it's their way or the highway.