promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does the fan infront of radiator starts working immediately i start my car?

I was adding windscreen washer today when i noticed the fan infront of my radiator isn't spinning, im kinda confused and scared, maybe has spoiled or something ???

Im driving a mercedes c300, 2008 model.. does anyone know anything about this?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

The electric fan on your car does not spin when it's start it up until it warms up unless you happen to turn on your air conditioning compressor this will force the fan to start up immediately

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Freeway makes no difference.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It used to be that way as the fan was turned over by the engine as it ran.  But has not been that way for a long time, it is now turned over by an electric motor that has sensors that tell it when the coolant is hot enough that it needs to cool down.  So, it comes on "occasionally".   Basically all cars are built this way now.  It helps with power and fuel economy.

. To clarify which fan.  That is the fan between the motor and the radiator. (this is "behind" the radiator) as the purpose is to draw air through the radiator, cooling off the coolant in the radiator...as air is always cooler than 180F.(which is the optimal normal operating temperature for most motors to run efficiently)

• Anon
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

"Used To"? my Chevy STILL has ve belt to the fan.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The radiator fan on MOST modern cars is thermostat controlled. It doesn't move unless the engine is close to overheating. Also, you shouldn't be servicing anything under the hood of your car with the engine running.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That fan should cycle on and off as needed.

• 1 month ago

It is probably an electric fan. It will not work until the engine reaches a preset temperature.

• 1 month ago

It only turns on when necessary.

• 1 month ago

The fan in front of the radiator is the cooling fan for the AC condenser. It only runs when the AC is on.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

"Most" modern cars have 2 controls on the engine fan:  one that turns the fan on with the air conditioning (air flow needed over the condenser) and one sensor that switches on the fan if the engine is reaching Hot.  Some cars use 2 separate fans for those purposes.

So - correct - fan shouldn't be on if the AC is off and the engine isn't overheating.

• ...Show all comments
    • Name Withheld
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

it's possible for either the fan motor, or the controls to fail - - - - your engine temp light would come on or temp gauge would warn you if running too hot . . . . and occasionally check to make sure fan is running when the AC is on.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

About 300 million people know about it. Electric fans come on when they are needed.

• arther
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

its the condenser fan for the ac usually it should only run when the aircon compressor is running

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.