Anonymous

Can I get sued for this? ?

July 2019’ my friend turned himself in for posting nudes of his ex wife and stalking. He asked me if I’d like to stay at the apartment and I’d have to pay the rent ($600). He said he’ll be gone 3-6 months. I agreed. He said he owed $1,000 in rent. So when I took over, I paid the $600 and his mom said she’ll pay the $400 (she never did). He was unable to do his recertification so s8 increased his rent to $900. During fall, my full time hours got cut to part time, so I was only bringing in $600 monthly. I was rarely at the apartment and my mom was having a hard time paying bills. So I began helping my mother (still paying $50-300 for rent and paying for his cable). Anyways, he got an official eviction letter for rent that’s 2,000. I took pics and send it to the mom. She asked was I caught up. To cut to the chase, the mom is like you owe $1,000 and asked did I get my income tax to pay it off since I “said” I was going to do that (which I don’t remember), but I said I’ll pay my part (text). My mom and mentor said it’s no need in me giving up $1,000 because unless his mom has the other $1,000 the apartment cannot be saved. I just don’t want to get sued. I was just thinking of giving him $ when he gets out as a “starter” for him to get back on his feet.

What do I do? 

If your name is not on the rental agreement or lease, you may not be sued by the apartment or housing owner.

However if the mother or son has a verbal agreement and no written agreement, it might be hard for them to sue you, however it is possible that they can take you to court.  But the question begs, is do they have a leg to stand on and is it worth it for them to do so.  'cost effective'.  Might cost them hundreds to thousands of dollars to take you to court for so little.

• Edna

Who do you think going to sue you, and for what?  YOU didn't rent the apartment; your friend did and his name's on the lease - not yours. You were only staying there and paying his rent to the landlord for 3-6 months while he was away. HE owes $1000 to the landlord; you don't. The worse that could happen is that the landlord evicts him for non-payment of rent.

You don't owe your friend any money for anything; not even as a "starter" to help him get back on his feet.

• Sole1 month agoReport

He is being evicted for nonpayment or rent. He owed $1,000. And I (apparently) owe $1,000. 

• Alan H

You should have moved out when the rent increased: you chose not to.   You are legally liable.    Learn from it 

• g

Legally I doubt he can sublet Sect 8 housing, no matter what the amount of who it's to. He knew he was in arrears and likely to lose the apt when he went to prison - and so did you.

You should have come clean to your friend that you couldn't pay the rent when you got the first letter, but no. You stayed. And probably stopped payong the pittance you were before so now it's even further behind.

All you're worried about is whether you can be sued. Not likely by Housing Authority, but your friend will likely be both for back rent and violating terms of rental agreement. He may get hit with some hefty fines on top of the back rent he owes. You need to talk to your friend - cut your losses and find another place to live, put his belongings in storage for his return.

did you sign a lease at the apartment or a sublease? if not, its his responsibility not yours, so they will go after him, not you

How many times are you going to ask this, Sparky?

ETA:   Nope, little sock puppet.