Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Girlfriends weight gain?

My biggest pet peeve is becoming an overweight obese married couple. I feel like that’s 75-90% of married couples. To give you a background, I do not expect anyone who is with me to look like a model. I wouldn’t even say that I prefer skinny women but when my significant other becomes large it really annoys me. 

She use to be in good shape going to the gym all the time but since we moved away she has become stagnant. While she still eats fairly healthy, any sort of exercise for her has been like pulling teeth. 

She is critical of the way I dress and present myself so why am I not allowed to be critical of her weight gain and stagnant lifestyle. No one wants to be with a demanding women who feels entitled to become large. 

Please help, how should I address this issue? I love her a lot but it annoys me greatly that she has become a drag dead beat at home. 

• Lili

You post a lot of "My girlfriend is a problem because...." questions, dear.

What are you getting out of this?

Well then, do not get her pregnant. Do 3/4 of the housework so that she has time to work out at the gym. And get off her case !!! Stress and nagging cause weight gain.

• Judy

Talk to her about changing the way you dress and present yourself in exchange for her getting back in better shape.

The best answer is to dump her. If she won't exercise and take care of herself now, she won't do it after you get married. There are plenty of fish in the sea, find a charming woman instead who respects herself enough to exercise.

What she should do is dump your dumb azz.

• Lili

Most women -- in particular obese women -- don't expect to be dating or marrying men like that, dear.  I weight 115 lbs and wear sizes 0-2. The man I married isn't like that. Don't be a moron. 

• Erik

Just don't get married.  Fortunately you are not yet.  Because she's only going to get fatter.  Whether people like it or not, men prefer thin women.  If you try to change her, it won't work.  She has to want to change for herself.  So you have to decide if you love her enough to stay, or move on.

You move on or deal with it.  This is why you marry someone you love...everyones gonna get ugly and fat as they age...

You mentioned something about moving...did she move with you for some reason and now has no friends (or gym buddies)?  Does she resent the move in some way?  

You don't need to address any of it.

If you don't like that she is not active - GO... FIND SOMEONE WHO YOU THINK IS THE RIGHT LEVEL OF ACTIVE.

- you are dating.  the joy of dating is that it is dating.  you aren't married

However, if your issue is her body, you need to figure out how to get over that unless she is doing something to purposefully cause this and you are worried about her health.

There are hundreds of conditions that change people's body type and often the person has no control over it.

- there are actually conditions that cause people to have more adipose tissue (i.e. actual fat disorders).

On Dec 24th, my 21 year old female neighbor waiting for a kidney transplant was stopped by someone at WholeFoods because he is a personal trainer and for $2000 he has a program that can get her into shape.

- um, not so much when you are taking a gazillion meds to stay alive, but isn't this dude great... so much for her to worry about for this young lady and one of them was already body image but the stuck a dagger in it. 

• Carson

Do you know why she gained weight, besides eating a quart of ice cream a day? Did you ask?

She may melancholy or possibly depressed. Maybe she miss family or fiends. ..idk, but you could bet I would know. Why?

Communication. Try iy.

" I feel like that’s 75-90% of married couples" - you really don't know many married couples.

You address the issue by getting out of a relationship that is not any good for either of you.