Why do some people not mind working for free?

We are not allowed to clock in until 7 but my coworker insists on starting work around 6:30 or 6:45. The thing is he's renting a room from me and we are also partners out on the field. He always insists on leaving at 5:50 and likes to arrive at the job site like half an hour early, and a lot of times he will start doing work before clock in time.

It's like he doesn't care at all that he's not getting paid......then he bitches on payday that it's not enough.

Why do some people not care that they're getting ripped off?

Next time he complains, please point out to him that the managers see that he starts work before his punch in time so they think they can get extra work from him for free.  Explain that - if he starts punching in at the exact time...they will wonder why he stopped doing the extra work..and ask him.  That will be his opening for a pay raise.  But until he stops giving them the extra bang for their buck...they will not increase his bucks.

• Mary Grace1 month agoReport

It is believed that few men and women want to enjoy their free time ... Some people do not mind to spend their leisure time with their colleagues while some people prefer to keep their private life separate from their work life
      https://marygracerepato199.wixsite.com/gcreatives

That is his choice, he's the one making the decisions.

• Erik

It really doesn't make sense (although I have been known to work through my breaks... my job is very easy and I don't really need a break anyway).  If you didn't have to leave early for work I would say it's his business, don't worry about it.

We SHOULD live in a world where people who do more than the minimum are rewarded, but it doesn't work that way.

• You're right. It makes no sense. All I can do though is just sit there while he's working off the clock. I'm sure not going to pitch in before clocking in. I don't work for free!

• Jay

Tell him "Why should they pay him more when they are getting two and a half hours of free work from him EVERY WEEK?"

• Lol. A couple of times he asked me to help him. I told him that I don't start work till 7 and I don't work a single minute for free. Lol. He didn't like that

No one is ripping them off. It is a decision they are making.

I worked with people that worked off the clock. Both union and management were supposed to enforce the rule against it, but the union left it to the employee and management, obviously, wasn't about to complain. We would tell these people they were being stupid but they didn't care.

For all that did it, it wasn't an everyday thing. I was a carrier with USPS for 38 years. There would be certain days out of the week when there was a weekly mailing for every stop on a route. They were to be delivered as an extra bundle, which was a pain and took extra time. If you documented on paper that you needed extra time, there wasn't much management could do to argue, it was a demonstrated fact. They either approved the overtime or gave you street help.

Well, some carriers couldn't take doing the job the right way. You were not supposed to 'case' that mailing, pitch it with your other sorted mail. If you did, it made the work easier and faster on the street. Management knew this, but most supervisors would not allow it. So carriers would start early, off the clock, and case those mailings. Management loved that.

Others had things to do with their family, or had other appointments after work and did not want to work late. And this applied to any day of the week. They would start early, off the clock, to get a head start, so they could go home on time.

There were also cases where workers would cheat themselves in other ways besides working off the clock. There were extremely heavy mail days, or days with severe weather. You were not completing your day's work in eight hours on those days. I worked in blizzards with snow so deep that you could not cross lawns if you walked, or if you drove, you got stuck several times at mailboxes and had to wait for the tow truck to pull you out. Eight hour days turned into 9, 10 or more.

But the same people would finish those routes in eight hours. They argued that they had to pick up their kids, or they had tickets to something or whatever. We tried to make them see how management saw it. If you can get done in eight in February with a foot or more of snow on the ground, then why does it take you eight to get done on a perfect day in May with less mail? We'll make your route bigger so that you're working eight hours no matter what, and on those bad days, we'll pay you the OT or give you some help.

Routes were adjusted from time to time and this affected everyone. Those who did the job right weren't affected too much but those who screwed themselves got 'added onto'. What would they do after screwing up a route? ***** about it and as soon as they could, bid off it to a better one (and screw that one up, too, eventually) and leave the bad ones for junior people to suffer with until the dedicated ones could get them readjusted to where they should be.

In a completely different setting, outside of the time clock situation, there are all sorts of 'jobs' where people are willing to work without being paid. They do it to get noticed, to expand beyond their usual setting. It's a form of networking. You sacrifice now in hopes it will pay off later.

I know a singer-songwriter that has toured quite a bit, recently came to the area from a large city. That person is starting to get known around here, plays out frequently, but still goes back to the places they lived in and gigged in before. That person is also trying to expand their footprint, and there are some upcoming shows in new territories. I asked about them. In one, they are opening for an act that is much more recognized in that genre, tours extensively, but has never been here before. One night here, the next in a city 70 miles away. This person is opening for that act, told me they contacted the act upon hearing they would be in the area, and said, "Hey, if you're looking for someone to open the show, I'm interested. You don't even have to pay me."

If this person is going to be paid, it probably won't be much. Exposure is the reason. Another show, hours and hours away but close to NYC, where this person would like to make some inroads, I was told that they were probably going to lose money, with the cost of travel and lodging, but it was worth it for the networking aspects.

I am sure the same thing goes in in many, many fields where people don't punch a clock.

He isn't getting ripped off, he is CHOOSING to do extra work.

• It's actually illegal in my state. If he gets hurt working off the clock the company could get into serious trouble

• DEBS

In 5 years when he is your manager and you're still doing the same work for the same pay you'll understand better.

• DEBS

"Triggered"?  Hardly. I've no issue with your initial response or followup to my question back. If anything I'm laughing b/c as I said you apparently just wanted affirmation that your roommate is wrong as opposed to any attempt to look at it from a different perspective.

• Rick

I know this is hard to believe, BUT some people actually LIKE their jobs !!!!!!

• Actually he bitches a lot about it.....and how he doesn't get paid enough. Lol