Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not really...........

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

No, none of them are totally real.

• 1 month ago

No.  At least, not in the sense that I think you mean.  'Reality' of course covers a large number of formats.  Some are game show style reality programs, and I suspect at least SOME of the competition is real.  But I also have heard anecdotes of various ways producers lean on the outcomes to ensure the people likely to get them the best ratings (either the villain or the fan favorite) stick around the longest.  

But these shows aren't real in the sense that you're seeing a true slice of people's lives or whatever.  When you used to watch Jersey Shore or Big Brother or Survivor, the people who are acting garishly or provoking fights are often prompted by producers to do so...or are at least deliberately manufacturing things because they know it's what the audience wants.

The best you can say about reality TV is that it's unscripted.  The people aren't memorizing dialogue.  But they usually know 'My job here today is to provoke a fight with Tina, and I know the thing that will make me look like a heel is to make fun of her weight.  And being the villain is what the producers want.  Doing what they want will keep me on the program longer and therefore lead to a bigger paycheck.'  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Moloch
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yes.

Mythbusters was real.

• Entropy
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Calling Mythbusters 'reality' is a stretch. 

• Robert
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

None whatsoever. The only characteristic they share is stupidity.

• Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They are all very real, in contrast to staged shows with written scripts. Hence the name "reality" show.

• Alex
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not too many of them. A lot of the shows where they're following police (Cops and LivePD) or other EMS units (parking wars, nightwatch, etc) tend to be real reality shows, but most of the rest of them are heavily scripted.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.