Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

What to do about someone who snaps their fingers at their six old daughter?

I understand they want their child undivided attention and for them to behave. 

I just feel like snapping your fingers at a child is laziness and treating them like they are a dog or animal to do your bidding.  

Probably shouldn't do that to a toddler at this age .

• sarah

As long as this child is not being abused or neglected, you back off and let the parent BE THE PARENT.

My mom snapped at me when I was a kid. It was a way of letting me know that if I didn't straighten the heck up, I was gonna be In Trouble.

When you are a parent you use what ever tool that works.  And with kids, the tools that work don't work forever requiring the parent to evolve to the next too that does.  Thus it is not about laziness because chances are it wasn't the first method they tried, just the first method that worked.  So what do you do?  Learn from the parent so when you eventually become one yourself you will be more prepared.

Is it your child?  Then you discuss with the other parent what you both think is and isn't appropriate parenting.  Is it someone else's child?  Then nothing.

Nothing

A parent has every right to do that and they have every right to smack the child as well 

Do nothing.....MYOB

• y

So you prefer the raised voice to getting their attention? Becouse that is the accepted alternative.

When one needs to redirect, gain a kids attention, there needs to be a sound, a sharp noise, becouse you can't always be in line of sight. There are no right or wrong triggers and for myself. I prefer to save the raised voice for danger warnings and such, as opposed to simply redirection of focus.

You don’t need to do anything about it. They don’t care about your weird dislike. Why do people like you get so bothered about how other people parent? It’s the most annoying thing about being a parent. Unless someone is being harmed just stfu.

That is your interpretation. If it is upsetting to you when you have kids don't do it. Also, try not to teach the your habit of virtue signaling!

• Robert

Then you should never do that to your child. And they won't tell you what you should do if yo don't tell them what parental choices they make for their family.