Kelley asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

I got my now 5 yr old Lab mix from a shelter. They got him when he was 10 mnths old. does he still remember being in the shelter?

I adopted him a few days after he was surrendered to the shelter.

• Jojo

I doubt after 5years away from the shelter, and being so young at the time he was there, that your dog will still remember much about it. If he could smell it, that might `jog` his sub- conscience a bit and may bring back a recollection of some  sort, but its impossible to say for sure. He certainly does not sit and think about it now. Dogs live on the moment and do not dwell on the past. Sounds, smells and sights, and to a lesser extent actions, can trigger off a dogs more recent memories.  

• Ocimom

If he was only in the shelter for a few days before adoption, then he probably doesn't remember being in the shelter.  Thanks for rescuing him.

So he spent almost 5 yrs in the shelter? poor baby. She would remember if you took her anywhere close to a shelter but you cannot read her mind & would know if she remembered or not. Dogs have good memories & she hasn't forgotten, she's just more content with you.

I asked him on your behalf, but he answered in dog language, which I don't speak.

I'd say he does.

Dogs do 'remember' but more associated with smells.  We kept a puppy we'd bred for 6 months until he was big enough to go to his new home and mix in with their adults.  We didn't see him for some months until we met up at a show.   As we approached him, from quite a distance his tail started to wag - and the wind wasn't in the direction from us to him!!   He knew us ok.

Your dog may remember the surroundings, by scent.   But a lot would also depend on whether how he was treated there, was good, or not!

You should be asking him, not us. I suggest you make up flashcards of things/events that have happened to him, and things that have not. For example, a picture of an especially nice place you went for a walk, a picture of his dinner from yesterday - then pictures of things that have not happened (and therefore he cannot possibly remember) like him meeting Queen Elizabeth II or him flying a Boeing 747.

Then you simply have to train him to bark (or nod, or tap his foot) every time he sees a flashcard he remembers, and not to react if he sees something he does not remember.  Once you've trained this response, you introduce a picture of the shelter and he'll indicate whether or not he remembers it.  

Source(s): Animal behaviorist of 57 years
  • Maxi

Dogs live in the moment, they don't 'remember' their past or think about the future....... if you were to take the dog to the shelter, it might 'remind' the dog once it saw the place

Of course the dog will, walk it past the rescue where you got it And you will see it in the dogs reaction also