promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

What percentage of divorce ends in spousal support?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Kelly
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It's quite low and when it is, it is often temporary.

Spousal support really is only ordered when a spouse has a disability or illness that prevents them from working and that happened during the marriage or has a kid with a disability...  this is often long term.

Other situations where it is temporary is usually when one spouse hasn't worked due to raising kids, etc...  or they might worked but are low income and not able to immediately provide for their self fully.

Usually a spouse working or staying home was a decision that was made as a couple.  My husband and I discussed it before getting married and revisited the topic each time we had a baby.  My husband always let it be my decision because he was and still is indifferent if I worked or stayed home, he can very comfortably provide for us on just his salary.  He was supportive either way I went.

A colleague of my husband was just ordered to pay $15,000 a month in spousal support in addition to child support and he has to buy her a house too plus other marital assets.  His wife has stayed at home and the spousal support was due to the lifestyle she's accustomed to living.  He is a plastic surgeon who makes 7 figures so to him this really isn't that much and she was with him when he was broke.  Guess she hired the better lawyer (and he paid that too).

BTW men can and do get spousal support too.  Men are normally ordered to pay it more often because men generally make more money but not always.

Marital laws are the same regardless of gender.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Alimony is far more rare than it used to be back when the average wife had no income to speak of. But it's no longer unusual for a woman to be paying that to a man either. So it all depends on the situation. If both spouses work and earn roughly the same there's almost never alimony ordered.

• rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I don't have access to statistics. Among friends, acquaintances, and coworkers, I haven't heard of anyone getting spousal support since the 1980s.

• David
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Close to ZERO now. Women wanted equal treatment. They got it. Now they are expected to get a job after divorce.

• Kelly
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

First men can and d
      o receive spousal support. Second, the equal rights act granted equal rights to non white men and women... 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • bond
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In USA? Very very few. Only in rare cases where they have been married for many decades and the spouse is unable to work or support themselves.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.