Ok so what does "once removed" mean in classical music?

• Lili

I've never heard the phrase in reference to classical music, so you'll have to provide the context.

I wonder whether it could refer to musical relationships between composers or pieces, influences, for example.

• Gregg

I've seen the phrase 'once removed' refers to family relationships, such as my nephew's son would be my nephew-once removed.

I never heard of it as a musical expression, but I suppose there are a lot of things I never heard of.

It depends on the context.  In what sentence did you encounter this phrase?

Well it means something was removed from the piece and upon listening to it with the removal was put back in.

In genealogy, once removed means a relation with another generation. You Dad's cousin is your cousin, once removed. So someone might say that film scores of Randy Newman are once removed from Alfred Newman. The dance music of Oskar Strauss is once or twice removed from the Johanns. These comparisons are not musically accurate, but just a quick compassion for you.