Diana asked in PetsReptiles · 1 month ago

Baby Gecko?

So basically my sister had impulsively bought another gecko. This time a baby, and it's been nice until she decided to buy another hide for our geckos. (Keep mind it's on the cold side of the tank) and the babies been in there everyday. Apparently the baby gecko comes out once in a while at night according to my sister but I'm worried it's slowly dying because I'm not sure if it's eating or getting water? Any advice? 

You need to separate them immediately. Leopard geckos (and most reptiles for that matter) are solitary, so even two females shouldn't be housed together. This especially goes for different sized geckos, since one will become dominant and can injure or even kill the smaller one. The baby very well might not be getting food or water, since the dominant one will have control over the resources and might block access to them from the baby. Even keeping the baby in a tub for now until you get it a new terrarium would be better than leaving it in there. Also you need to keep in mind that is it vital to quarantine new reptiles for at least 6 weeks when you first get them to ensure that they are healthy. I don't mean to sound rude, but reptiles aren't toys, they should never be impulse buys and you should always make sure you are prepared for them (I know this isn't your fault, but I hope this is something your sister will understand).

Don't house reptiles of different sizes in the same enclosure. The likelihood of cannibalism is just too high. Reptiles and amphibians rely partly on movement to detect prey. When the baby moves, the adult may think it is food and catch and swallow it. The baby should be put in another cage or enclosure. It does not have to be elaborate or big. It can be a bare enclosure. The baby lizard would be safer. Besides, even keeping two adults in the same cage is not a good idea if they are both males. They will fight and harm each other.