Hello. If cps is involved and the grandma of child is adopting him when can birth parents have contact with the child?after it's finalized?

This is very heartbreaking so please keep your mean comments to yourself. So I had a one night stand with a woman. I later found out I had gotten her pregnant and she had an addiction. She asked her mom to adopt baby so he can stay in the family. She was unable to care for a child obviously. She believed this was the best option. We both want to be in our sons lives. She believed having the mom adopt him would speed up the process so we can be in his life without CPS involved. I had a stroke a week after finding out about pregnancy. I lost majority of my vision and had no parapheral.  both sides of my brain were affected so I was in no position to care for a baby. I would forget where the bathroom was in my house. It was bad. Things are getting better. Anyways So our parental rights were terminated on December 1st. So when can we see our son? Do we have to wait for adoption to be finalized? Who can we contact to find out what's going on in the adoption process? Social worker won't reply and grandma who raises the baby was told no contact so she won't answer the phone or have any contact with us. We are left in the dark. Please can someone tell us any information on how to get answers and to be able to see our son. Please and thank you!! 

• Kelly

When your rights are terminated whether they are voluntarily or the state has terminated them..  you don't have any legal rights to the child.  If the child is adopted, it is up to the adoptive parents whether or not you see the child.

Depending on the reason that you lost rights, the judge can place a restraining order on you having contact with the baby and/or the adoptive parents too.

If the judge places restrictions on contact with you and the baby, if she allows it... she's in violation and if caught...  the state will take the baby and place him/her with a foster family.

Grandma still needs to undergo a home study for adoption and she has to pass it in order to adopt.

Finalization of an adoption is about 6 months in most states.

Legally, this is no longer your child so the child's case worker (social worker) isn't going to give you any information.

Once the adoption is finalized and the CPS case is closed, it's up to the grandmother. When your parental rights were terminated, your child became a "legal stranger" to you, meaning you have no more legal right to visit him than any stranger does.

Therefore, I would suggest doing everything you can to make a positive impression on the grandmother. If there's anything in your life that's negative (I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just saying "if") then get your act straightened out. And don't be surprised if it takes Granny a long time to start trusting you. If it weren't for Granny being willing to raise this child, he would have been adopted out to strangers, where your chance to be part of his life would be just about zero. So try to show some appreciation even if you get frustrated by how long it takes. I hope that doesn't sound mean. I just want you to be prepared for a worst-case scenario where she doesn't welcome you into the baby's life. But I do wish you the best and hope it all works out.

You have no legal right to see the child as of the time your parental rights were terminated.

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.

The grandparent can allow you to see the child or not. TPR is TPR.

• Tulip

Strokes don't affect both sides of the brain better rewrite this tall tale

• helene

I'm sorry, but I feel like there's a large part of this story I haven't been told. I think your one-night stand knows exactly why CPS got involved and why her mom wants no contact. Maybe she hasn't told you yet either.

But Grandma is now that child's legal mother. She's not "raising the baby" for the two of you, it's HER baby. She gets to decide to what degree you are "in the child's life," and right now it looks like you won't be in it much.

So I would drop it for now. Don't let the addict talk you into doing anything crazy.

Your rights were terminated.  The mother of the child (she is no longer his grandmother, she adopted him and is raising him and is his mother) has been told no contact.  End of story.

• Goerge

our parental rights were terminated on December 1st

You don't have that legal right anymore and you know it so why ask? She's been ordered not to allow any contact and yet you want to push it? It can quickly go from civil to criminal so being good and bidding your time seems the best course of action.

Perhaps never.

What's the real d|ck punch is when CPS are the a$$ho|es who place a person in a VERY unsafe environment. They spend 9 years there and finally after his brother dies he escapes that family who no longer have a license to adopt or foster.

We don't know the circumstances so how could we say? If they haven't given you a date the answer most likely is never.