promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it normal for contractor to leave so much dust after drywall repairs? ?

Had a few parts of our walls repaired, I get there's going to be dust but we had this much dust even in parts of the house that no work was done in with no attempt to clean it up. I can imagine this taking hours for me and my husband to do and we also have a 1 and 2 year old, so just not healthy for them. 

Attachment image

19 Answers

Relevance
  • hart
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

just clean it

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

There isn't much you can do NOW about this problem, if you've already cleaned up the mess they left. Obviously, you don't hire them again or give them any sort of excellent review, but you don't complain about anything except their lack of attention in cleaning up the mess they made. A GOOD contractor does not leave a mess. They clean up afterwards. If, when you hire someone to do a job for you, they do not put cleanup in the contract, DON'T HIRE THEM. 

You're right that this is not healthy. And you're right that it's excessive. You can also call the company and complain--and tell them you will not refer this contractor or give them a good review (if they ask for a review) because of it. But there is nothing you can do now except that. 

Use a Swiffer or dust-mop to gather it up, then vacuum it thoroughly. Then damp-mop and vacuum again. You want to remove as much of that drywall dust as you can.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Looks like you need to clean your house better. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I HAD TO SEE what you were complaining about.

The contractor could have and should have made a "no go zone" with plastic draping from ceiling to floor." But when you hire CHEAP, they get cheap.  This is NOT THEIR PROBLEM.

"This is nothing"  Their job was to repair the walls - not be janitors. Or they would bill you for that work too.  You got what you got.(hours?  try a week)

Use a "soft" broom and sweep down the walls where the work was done as much of the dust is still on the walls.(unless they painted the walls, as the paint now glued the dust to the wall). Sweep it towards the floor.  Now sweep it into a pile and use a dustpan to get the dust into a bin or plastic bag.  Do as much dry sweeping as possible. Then use a dry mop. and drymop the dust off the floor.  Avoid using the vacuum cleaner for as this dust EATS VACUUM CLEANER MOTORS getting past the bag filter. Try to avoid using water to clean up the dust either as that makes a mud mess.  You will have to vacuum off the bricks as the dust hangs onto the sides of everything...and wash many things in laundry.

. It is now part of your daily or weekly dusting regiment.  Classify it as house dust- so it is everywhere.

. Yes. They could have done it neater which would mean all furniture in that room is either moved out or covered over in plastic (or both) Floor would get it no matter what. But they did not do that, so you got what you got.  PAR for the course for these dudes. I have seen better and I have seen worse.

Source. 45+yrs house painter of NEW HOUSES so everything is new drywall and floors are not laid down yet, or carpets, or furniture and there is WAY MORE DUST THAN THIS.  You use a shovel to get it out. After the walls are repainted so much dust seems to disappear.

As for healthy - it is dusty.  Dust sticks to the vertical surfaces like a magnet. so have to be dry wipe off several times.   It gets down to a livable level of clean.  Think of the Ankle Biters as dust rags as they will be wiping the floor clean all the time...like a RoboVac.

• Mariah1 month agoReport

We hired a company and they aren't cheap. They actually came out and apologized especially because they didnt even warn us so we could take proper measurements to keep the dust contained a bit more.they also didnt even attempt to clean any of it the 1st time.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Steve
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, they should have taken steps to mitigate the dust during the work and then swept up after themselves.

Now that it's after the fact, you may as well clean it up yourself.  Get a shopvac with a HEPA filter and a pack of those Swiffer Dusters.

• 1 month ago

the careful contractor sees that his people clean up,empty trash,,lay tarps before the work starts,your guy is a goat

• 1 month ago

"hours"?? shop-vac will do that in less than one

• ...Show all comments
    • Mariah1 month agoReport

We also have a 2000 sqft home so I think with cleaning the floor, furniture, counters, toys and other things left out, hours is a correct estimate

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They should make the attempt to minimize the free area that dust will/can flow to. Becouse as you see, it gets all over everything and everywhere. That looks like more then a little repair but it is what happens/how it works.

• 1 month ago

Yes, it is normal. Drywall dust is one of the worst things I know for floating around in a house. If you can seal off the room where the work is being done that can help, but if you can't, or if you have forced air heat and it's on and blowing air around the house, the dust is going to end up everywhere. If I had drywall work being done in a furnished house, I would have made sure the contractor sealed off where the work was being done if possible, I would have covered as much furniture as possible with dust sheets, and asked how much clean-up they were going to do. And expected to do a lot of vacuuming afterwards with a few changes of the vacuum filter. Drywall dust is very fine and can clog up a filter fast.  Maybe your contractor should have made sure you knew it would be like this.

• arther
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

don't you mop the floor its your house they don't see the dirt from their house

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.