Anonymous

why dont students take college seriously these days?

In the old days, college books were beautifully adorned with gilded borders on the pages, and really elaborate fonts and stuff.

Students used to wear full academic regallia to attend lectures, and made sure to attend every lecture.

Nowadays students skip class that costs like $50.00 for every session. Seriously just throwing away money by skipping class. Students dress like they just rolled out of bed,

You used to hear the beautiful voices of acapella singing groups in the great hall, and nowadays you hear electronic recordings of some crappy nicki minaj song about someone's anaconda.

Dorm room decor these days is crap and most students dorm rooms are pig pens. Dorm rooms used to be kept imaculately clean/

THere used to be no concerns about campus rape, when chastity was expected before the days of animal house parties.

What ever happened to colleges to make them such places of hipocracy. Studentys used to go to college to study, getting in was an honor and students used to get expelled for behaving like today;s students do

Whatever happened to college?

2 types of college students: those with a desire, and those waiting for their hearts desire. If you know where you're going, it's easier to get there.

My room was clean since I couldn't afford anything!

I got by on like $500 per YEAR discretionary money!

In the past, college was the only way to get educated beyond your high school level. However, things have changed quite drastically. We now have the ability to learn almost anything we want online. Also, a lot of young people either have student loans or their parents paying out of pocket for their education. This causes them to have a lack of ownership. If you don't have to pay for it, you don't appreciate it as much. 

• cool

Contrary to what some may think, there were never any 'good old days', as far as university is concerned.

University has always been a hotbed of satanic abuse and indoctrination. 

The difference between now and then is this:

University is now a speculative asset, used by hedge funds and banks to generate household debt and increase real estate prices.

You correctly mentioned the declining ambience of university, this is inevitable when you encourage everyone and anyone to attend.

The trauma/anxiety of being unable to cope with their studies prompts many students to neglect basic self care/hygiene.

The problems you mention are trivial, there was a case a few years ago of female students defecating in the showers!

The issue became so bad, that senior university officials had to make a public announcement!

So much for our, 'intellectual elite'!

• Lili

Troll fail dear.

I don't know what era you're thinking of, but I'm a professor (of history), and I can assure you that old textbooks even in the 16th and 17th centuries did not have gilded borders and elaborate fonts. Students were impecunious,  They couldn't afford such books.

And full academic regalia for students just meant cheap, short black robes over their regular clothes.  No one was singing choir music in the great/dining halls.

Chastity?  Male students weren't chaste even in the Middle Ages; no one expected them to be.  As for dorms, students have been living in pig sties for centuries.

Either you're a troll or an ignoramus about the history of universities. Or both.  And by the way, the correct spelling is "hypocrisy". Apparently YOU never attended university.

That said, I've have many students who've take their studies extremely seriously. You'll always have the slackers, though at the institutions where I've been fortunate to teach, you can't get away with much slacking. I have students who've gone on to earn PhDs and write books in history and others who've gone to law, business, and medical school. You can't do that if you didn't take your studies seriously as an undergraduate.

Stop trolling, sweetie.  You're too obvious about it.  It's not your talent.

Im turning 19 this year. All my friends are between 17-24, and many of them take college and university quite seriously, and some of them dont. My cousins are also in university and are taking their majors quite seriously. I dont really know anybody who slacks, most of us abandoned that habit in high school. I dont know what ur smoking but many young adults take their studies very seriously lmaooo

• John

"...college books were beautifully adorned with gilded borders on the pages, and really elaborate fonts and stuff."

And none of that new-fangled printing, either.  They were hand-copied by monks. :-)

More seriously, I graduated in the early 70s.  Even back then, college was not at all as you describe.

I doubt all that you've written was always true.  How many students do you actually know who waste their time in college?  What is your source of information regarding the 'glory days' you wrote about?  If this your perception, it is not necessarily what actuality is.  

What are you smoking?  Are you talking about 200 years ago?

• Lili

Even 200 years ago, his claims didn't apply. He's a troll.

Ah, nostalgia for things that never were.

Partying is their expertise.