Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

My sister is an estranged narcissist who has caused great destruction to the family. My question is would writing about her help me let go?

I want to let go of the hate we all have towards her. Release it. If I wrote a book (not for publication) just for the family about her hurt and damage would it mean not feeling animosity anymore?

Do what you feel you need to in order to get your frustrations out.

Are you going to burn it as a symbol of releasing and letting go? If not, I think a book kept is just a reminder of what is.

I feel like you should find a way to organize your feeling, and thoughts in order to get a hold of this pain. Keeping hate keeps you chained, it's the truth. So find a way to learn to for give but don't let her in your life. You can try to forgive in the way that knowing Narcissism is a mental disorder, she can't help doing what she does. Perhaps thats a way of creating sympathy to soften your heart that is hurting so you can see her as a person with problems and release the pain that way.

I'd say, you should never let her in your life again.

• JerryL

yes it will help writing is therapy it helped me give over betral of a ex of mine

• Cogito

Only write about it if it help you to do so, and if you intent to keep it ONLY to yourself.

Showing the family or anyone else would NOT help.

If you're estranged from her, why are you so obsessed about her and the past?  

The problem isn't really her - it's you.  You need to let it go, move on and put whatever she's done out of your mind.

All that hatred, resentment and animosity is only now damaging YOU - and you're allowing it to do so.  Concentrate on your life NOW.  Think of all the good things in your world and your future.

Writing about something that bothers and hurts you is a well-known and effective way of dealing with it. But don't think about writing it 'for' anyone but yourself, first.

The thing about writing out a problem is that it lets you put it all down and look at it as a whole. Spend as long as it takes making sure you write down every tiny thing that makes you angry, then sort it out into different episodes or a chronology.Most people find they can relax and let go once they know they've expressed everything they feel, and why they feel it.Put it away for a while at that point, then go back and add or remove anything you think isn't quite right.

Then let your family read it if they want to. But the MAIN thing is that this is YOUR take on the problem. Don't be surprised if other family members think you've mis-represented some part of the story. There will be some things you all agree on, but each of you will have their own individual perspective on certain points too.

Anyway: get writing. It can't do any harm, and it almost always helps.

Only you can answer that question. Do you believe you have to write about it in order to forgive your sister?