promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

A friend of mine borrowed my car?

She got charged with backing into somebody she didn't have insurance she has a license what's going to happen when she does get insurance???

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

she does in effect have insurance for this accident.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • M.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There are some strange car insurance questions here lately.  I think that there is general confusion between UK insurance and people outside of the UK (like USA) who do not realize that a UK insurance policy must list all the drivers who will be insured to drive the car.  In other words, the people are insured, NOT the car like in the USA.

Non British may also not know that in the UK, there are ANPR (automatic number-plate recognition) cameras on Motorways and Carriageways (freeways/highways) in the UK that constantly scan ALL number-plates (license/registration plates), and if the insurance has lapsed (is not current) on a scanned vehicle, an instant message is sent to police stations and police cars in the area.  Many uninsured drivers are then caught and prosecuted by the police through the court system.  When such a car is found, it is seized/impounded at the scene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_number-pla...

In other cases where a car is stopped for something else, if someone who is driving is not listed on the insurance policy is found, they can not continue driving the car.  Often the car is then seized/impounded.

So car insurance related conditions in the UK and the USA are often as different as which side of the road you drive upon.

My question to the "asker":

WHERE do you live (which country)?

p.s.  The UK required MOT (Ministry of Transport annual test of vehicle safety, roadworthiness aspects and exhaust emissions) is also posted on the database, and if the MOT has lapsed, that is brought up.  I don't believe that it's a ticketable offense.  I know they don't seize/impound the car, unless something is obviously unsafe, which is the general purpose of the MOT.

Source(s): Been there
  • 1 month ago

It doesn't matter what happens when she gets insurance, at least not to you.

You let a friend drive your uninsured vehicle, which means you didn't have insurance.  The owner, not the driver, is legally responsible for their vehicle and any loss or damage it causes.  That's the law in every state, territory, province, and everywhere in the civilized world.  Your friend didn't have an accident, you did.

Once again:  The owner (not the driver) is legally responsible for any loss or damage their vehicle causes.  If you're the owner, this is entirely your problem.

• 1 month ago

Where are you? Laws differ around the world. Getting caught driving without insurance can follow you for many years.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Cars are insured, not people.

Her car's insurance or lack of it has nothing to do with your car.  The insurance on YOUR car will be liable and have to pay for damages done when your friend backed into someone.    Remember:  When you loan your car, you also are automatically lending your insurance that is on that car.

Nothing is going to happen when/if she has a car that she wants to place insurance on.....Except.....  the insurance company will consider that she had a accident and may reflect that in the rate they charge.

Why do so many people have no idea of the basics of automobile insurance?

Insurance 101 should be taught right along with drivers education.

• 1 month ago

She is insured under your policy as a permissive user.  So she does in effect have insurance for this accident.

Source(s): Retired claims adjuster
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

What do you think will happen?

• Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Isn't your car insured? Your friend can't insure your car.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Nothing, her new insurance won't cover an accident that occurred before she got the insurance.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.