Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

does "gone to the green" refer to Gretna Green, or Fiddlers/Whistler's green?

Jules and Lilah were a really nice vocal jazz duet that used to perform at the local coffee shop every saturday morning. They stopped performing there, and I was there and overheard someone say ."It looks like Jules and Lilah were once the best of friends, but it looks like they had a parting of the ways and went on into the mists of time to the green"

What green are they referring to? Is it Gretna Green in Scotland. are they getting married? I dont think they would after a parting of the ways?

THe other greens I have heard of are Whistler's Green (i think that means retirement) and Fiddler's Green (also think that is an idiom for fading into the past)

What do they mean by "the green".

I did some research, and I think Fiddler's Green is a place in scottish folklore that is far to the west through the mists and behind the sunset. Are they referring to the place where past times go. The land where the great sea captains of old dwell?

What does the idiom "the green" mean?

From the Irish Rovers:

Oh in Fiddler's Green is a place I've heard tell

Where sailormen go if they don't go to hell

Where the weather is fair and the dolphins do play

And the cold coast of Greenland is far far away

Not Scottish folklore, but Fiddler's Green does seem most applicable.

If I remember rightly, it was where sailors went to when they left the sea (if not to Davy Jones' Locker). The idea being that Fiddler's Green was in a kind of dreamland, where everything was easy-going, especially life. Lots of music, drink and whores..... :-)

There was a kind of poem that went something like:

"At Fiddler’s Green, where seamen true

When here they’ve done their duty

The bowl of grog shall still renew

And pledge to love and beauty."

Also read Melville's "Billy Budd", Ernest K. Gann's story "Fiddler's Green". and look up "The Sandman" series (a number of different authors). And Heinlein uses it as an extrasolar colony in some of his books.

Haven't seen a reference to "the Green" for a long time (like about forty years), so I might be wrong. But, it's a strong possibility.