Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Should I sue LAPD for violating my rights and forcing me to sign a ticket?

I got a speeding ticket and one warning for something he made up on the spot so he could feel like a good guy. Anyway I refused to sign the ticket (please don’t lecture me, just stick to the story. Thanks) which I have I’ll the right to do so but he wouldn’t let me call someone to come pick my car up before arresting me (NASTY GUY much??). He kept telling me to just sign it and I kept asking him if he’ll let me call someone but he was just lazy (TYPICAL LAPD) and didn’t want to deal with arresting and booking SOOO I was forced to sign the ticket and he violated my rights regarding allowing me to call someone since I DID NOT WANT TO SIGN THE TICKET. 

Updated 1 month ago:

I personally think this guy should be let go. There is no reason why he couldn’t let me call someone other than the fact he WAS LAZY AND NASTY.

Updated 3 days ago:

I take back what I said. He wasn’t nasty or lazy but actually very polite and cool for putting up with me. I wish I could delete this questions. Sorry 

• Cee

I'm guessing all signs point to you not having a hope in hell.

No. Signing a ticket does not mean you're admitting guilt. It just means you received the ticket.

• Archer

So they held you down and moved your fingers did they.

Depends. You have no case of course but if you happen to be a racial minority (not Asian, those don't count) or in the country illegally the LAPD will settle out of court for millions. This is one of the reason our taxes are so high here...one wonders if you pay taxes and most Angelenos don't.

• Bruce

You have no right to a phone call during a traffic stop, so there was no right that was violated. 

The officer can request bond for a traffic infraction, so requesting your signature was not a violation either. 

That doesn't mean you can't sue, it just means you won't win. 

They DID NOT force you to sign the ticket and doing so would not be a violation of your rights.

Signing ONLY acknowledges you received the citation and promised to either pay the fine, or appear in court. If you refuse to make that promise, they can arrest you and you will be held until you face a judge, or decide to sign the citation.

You DO NOT have the right to call ANYONE until you are booked into jail.

• Bill

I don't know what rights you think were violated. The officer probably tried to explain to you that signing a ticket only means that you received it, it doesn't mean you are guilty of the charge. Simply refusing to sign wouldn't normally be cause for an arrest. Perhaps there is more to the story, like reckless driving or speeding more than 20 mph over the limit.

you can try suing them

Watch Live PD. They never let the person they've detained use their telephones. They don't want people calling someone to come with a gun and shoot the officer.