mariah asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Help me with my flight anxiety please?

Help with my anxiety with flying

I have an extremely big fear of flying. I have flown before but I’m still scared every time I get on a plane. I’m scared for my flight I have on Sunday to Mexico for vacation. I keep taking everything I see as a sign that something bad is going to happen

examples: I saw a video of people bracing for a emergency landing on plane, the plane emoji showed up in my frequently used when to my knowledge i haven’t touched it and when I used the skull and cross bones emoji it it went next to the plane emoji. I know these sound silly but this is how extreme my phobia is

I also have had this weird feeling on the left side of my chest. But it’s been going on for two days now and it may just be heartburn but I’m scared it’s a bad feeling about the flight.

Please help with any advice on flying. I am so scared and don’t know what to do. I am flying VivaAerobus as well on a very early flight.

Please any advice will be helpful!!

Anxiety while flying is very common. It can seem like a very scary ordeal. It can also cause the physical symptoms you are displaying. The absolute truth of the matter is found in James 4:14 " whereas you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. For you are a mist that appears for a little while and then disappears."

So how then do we keep our peace of mind? Well if you need medicine for the trip, that might be the case. It's been known to happen and if you went to your doctor and told him, he would probably agree. There are also breathing techniques that have been found to be helpful. Maybe as well talking to people who are more familiar with flying and can quell your fears. 

There are so many things out there we cannot control. Inane, innocent seeming things that could just as easily kill us as going down in a plane crash. I'm not saying that to add to your anxiety but your reaction to viable danger is something to a certain extent that you can control out of all of those uncontrollable events.

In fact the bible talks about avoiding undue anxiety. Matthew 6:27 "Who of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his life span?”

Let's be honest, most of the time we worry excessively about something and then nothing that we worried about happens. But that doesn't mean we don't feel anxiety anymore. It's easier said than done. Here are a couple of my favorite scriptures that I find comforting when I feel anxious. 

Philippians 4:6,7 " Do not be anxious over anything,a but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God;  and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus."

Isaiah 41:10 "Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be anxious, for I am your God. I will fortify you, yes, I will help you, 

I will really hold on to you with my right hand of righteousness."

I hope you have an amazing time on your trip! This article I've tagged gives other practical suggestions to help ease anxiety. Hope it helps!

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/awake-no1-...

• mariah1 month agoReport

Thank you for the scripture as I’m a Christian and like to hear this. Thank you for your answer about how to help anxiety and I will keep these scripture in mind while on my flight! 

Don't think bad, it is really new experience, flying. enjoy your first trip

get ready to see all the attractions from top. happy journey

• hihi!

this is cut and pasted:

Every day, the FAA's Air Traffic Organization ( ATO ) provides service to more than 44,000 flights and 2.7 million airline passengers across more than 29 million square miles of airspace.

if you are over 21, have a drink before the flight if alcohol calms you down. lf it makes you billigerant, don't take my advice or my idea of nerve medicine.

The same flight you are booked on flies every day or several times a week. You'll be ok. Don't rely on strange "signs" as prediction of the future.

i wouldnt worry about it, planes are safer than cars

i would worry more about being in a car, i heard planes are safer