Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Mom claims since she pays for family dog's expenses means the dog is HERS and death only impacts her.?

Yesterday my family dog died.

She says because I did not pay for the food or pet care that it is not our dog. It is only her dog because she paid for it. Do you think paying for a dog means it is only your dog and lessens any emotional relationship it has with anyone else?

(This answer seems self-explanatory to me, but she insists losing the dog is only significant to her because it is HER dog, since she paid for his expenses). She's saying it's HER DOG, she is the one that is REALLY HURT by his death. (Not me that has been with him for years and years)

Your mom is right. You may be attached to the dog but have contributed nothing towards it's care or training. I can see why she says it is her dog. If you did nothing to help with the dog but love it & nothing more, I can agree with your mom.

I understand your frustration, but your mother is emotional and hurt right now and not everybody handles that with grace and dignity. Anger, blame, and lashing out are a common stage of grief, and you're probably seeing some long pent up resentment about not getting as much help with the dog's care as she would have liked come tumbling out because she's upset. Yes, she's being ridiculous, but it will probably pass.

• Ocimom

When you bring a dog into the family it becomes the "family dog" regardless of who is paying the most expenses.

I really don't understand why the need to ask this question.   Family dog - Family grief when the dog passes.

There's much more to having a dog than who pays the bills!!  Including emotional outlay.

Sorry for your loss.

Your mother is a selfish and self-centered person. I feel sorry for you. Sorry to hear about the death of your dog.

How ridiculous of your mother. Of course you have every right to be upset when the family dog passes. Whoever is in charge of the expenses doesn't matter here since it was a dog that you were also raised with and built a relationship with because you also live there with it.

• DK52

Apologies, the dog is far from the issue. Fix the disturbing issue between you and your mother and the dog will no be an issue.

I think your mom is grieving and not in a place to be rational.

i think its your dog too

Throw tarantulas at her to teach her a lesson.