Ed W asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Is 83 years old too old to fly using 1st class from Europe to the US?

No.  Age by itself is not a factor in deciding if it is medially safe for the individual to fly. The main concern for an elderly person taking a long flight is dehydration.  The passenger needs to stay hydrated, and if they are in 1st Class they won't have any problems getting non-stop drinks. They are also unlikely to have Deep Vein Thrombosis problems since the seats will recline flat or almost flat. 

• Ed W1 month agoReport

I am sorry I didnt see the stars. THIS IS THE BEST ANSWER WITH 5 STARS!!

You have selected a best answer but I will answer anyways.  As far as I know, there are no age restriction. The fact you asked tells me you are fit as a fiddle. Go for a trip Captain! :-D

Source(s): Work part-time at an airport.

Not too old at all.

• Jay P

Age is not a factor when deciding between airline seats/classes.  Economics and comfort are far more relevant factors.

Your question is misleading. It seems as if you're asking if 83 is too old to fly first class.

Of course it's not. You can fly first class at any age as long as you can afford it.

It seems that what you REALLY mean is, "Is 83 too old to fly? I plan to fly 1st class, which must be safer health-wise than Economy for an old passenger".

Not unless there are health reasons stopping you from doing so

WHY WHY do you think there is an Age limit for first class seats.?

Your doctor may or may not suggest you should not fly at this age.

That you desire to spend  for extra space and a nicer meal is all up to you.

You are not required to show age identification . If you APPEAR to be under about age 25 they may ask to see if you have age identification to show you are old enough for liquor service.

Enjoy your flight.

NO ONE has automatic entry to other countries. You MIGHT have some medical situation that may cause your refusal of admission to the USA.

You are expected to be in GOOD health not necessary to be perfect.

Travel health insurance with a get you home package is a real good idea

it can cost you $10-20,000 or more for an emergency Air evacuation back home.

• Redstone

@Rona: I think the fact that he can ask this question on this forum, he is fit for travel. Why worry? 

I am a bit younger than you - but the same general generation.  I have had DVT, take Coumadin, and wear those buillet-proof compressions stockings.  We fly several times a years - and we always are in in FC.  We use SkyMiles we accumulate from our annual bills and shopping, and pay the rest in $$ - so it is NOT as expensive as many whine about.  We like Delta One to to to Europe - lie-flat bed make a little sleep possible - but are fine with Business class coming home - I still conk out for a few hours, but know I will sleep in my own bed that might.  Drink LOTS of water - and very little alcohol.  Get up and WALK the length of the plane a few times, every hour or so that you are awake.  Do ankle rotations and other seat-exercise when seated.  Head rolls - arms stretches.  Go ahead an be The Weird Old Person - you will never see these people again, will you?  I also got really good an COMFY earplugs form Magellan's - they look like tiny baby bottle nipples, and keep me from getting bad ear pain when landing (the tree-shaped ones HURT!) I have easy luggage, and I dress sensible for the plane.  So if you prize comfort - GO FOR IT!