Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Does insurance company cover scratches/minor damage?

Basically an older guy was getting gas and got out of the car while it was still in drive and ran into the back of my car and left quite a few scratches and 2 noticeable scratches. It was his daughters car and I got her information as well as his license, etc. does the insurance companies pay for minor damage like the kind you have to get close to to see it??? He tried to give me 80$ for it but I don’t think that would have covered it.

@Don W

I will not file a claim with my insurance company because it was 100% his fault (there are cameras and witnesses) the last time someone backed into my car the other persons insurance paid for it and nothing happened with my insurance increasing. Also there are 2 deep scratches that I know rubbing compound will not remove

you have to first file a claim.

• F

I had this a couple of times. Both times the other person paid me directly rather than use his insurance. If you have an excess of say £300 and your next premium might go up £200, anything less than £500 you pay yourself.

• Edna

If you're carrying collision and/or comprehensive coverage in your policy, your insurance company will pay for this kind of minor damage. 

No matter whose "fault" you think it is,  file a claim with your own insurance company; the insurance companies determine "fault". If it's determined that the other guy's car backed into your car, then he's at fault, and it won't affect YOUR insurance premiums. Your insurance company will cut you a check to repair your damage, and your company will be reimbursed by the other guy's insurance company. 

You're required, under the terms of your insurance policy, to report all accidents to your insurance company.

You have auto insurance; USE IT!  That's what you're paying for. 

Take it to your repair shop or someone reputable/honest to get a quote on the repair. If the damage bugs you contact your insurance. If the other party doesn't want their insurance to get involved, get him to pay the bodyshop himself to get it done.

Theoretically, yes, his insurance should cover it. However, it would really be smarter not to use the insurance, because using insurance can make the price of insurance go up by a lot more the cost of fixing the scratches.

• Edna

The price of his insurance won't go up; not if his insurance company and the other guy's insurance company determine that the other guy was at fault. Your insurance company will be reimbursed by the other company for the amount they have to pay to repair the damage to your car.

• May

Yes, his Daughters insurance should pay.  The amount makes no difference.  

Get a repair estimate from a body shop and present the estimate to the guy.  If he doesn't pay out of pocket,  file a claim with the Daughters insurance.If  his Daughters insurance doesn't pay and you refuse to use your own insurance then you are on your own.If you don't understand how using your own (collision) insurance works, ask your insurance agent to explain.

Why does the younger generation try to impress others by prefacing a question, a statement or just plain speech with the useless word....**BASICALLY **  !

• g

The other motorist is certainly responsible and liable for the damages they caused to your vehicle.

However, for this to play out the way you want it to you have to get your insurance provider involved.  They will make sure the at fault motorist makes you whole.

You could attempt to go directly to the other motorist's insurer but without your insurer representing your interests you have hard row to hoe.

Tracking?  

If it was the other parties fault, they are 100% responsible for any damage to your vehicle regardless of how severe, their insurance coverage, their deductible, etc.

You should inform YOUR insurance company and allow them to negotiate with the other party and their insurance:  that service is one of the things you pay for with your premiums.

• DON W

If you have collision/comprehensive auto insurance, they will pay but there will be a deductible (often $250/$500) before they will pay out.  Also, every time you file a claim, you run the risk of your insurance premium going up in the future.

Most people don't bother filing for small claims for those reasons.  

From what you describe, a can of polishing or rubbing compound, which you can get for about $10, and 15 minutes of rubbing, will get those scratches out.

If it was me, I would have accepted the cash, but it's your decision.

• TedEx

Sometimes those ""Min or"' scratches could cost a few hundred dollars to fix. $ 80.00 would never cover it.

His insurance may cover it, you have to first file a claim.,