promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
mia asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Am I pregnant? ?

I took a pregnancy test and nothing showed up the first 3 mins of waiting so i j tossed it into the trash...an hour later i went back into the bathroom and looked at it and it was positive, both of the lines were distinctly dark. I took another test today but it was an off brand cheap one and it said negative, so am I pregnant or not? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You're not pregnant. All brands of home pregnancy tests will show "positive" if you go back and look at it an hour after you throw  it in the trash. 

The dark lines you saw were nothing more evaporation lines in the test stick. A  reliable result will show up on the test stick within 5-10 minutes after you take it. Any result you see after 10 minutes, you can disregard - it won't be accurate. That's why  you should never go back and look at a test stick after you discard it.

You took another test today, and it showed "negative". You can trust that result. 

Cheap test or expensive test - it doesn't matter.  All home pregnancy tests work the same..  

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

You did actually read the instructions, correct?  You know, where it clearly states that you cannot read the test after a certain amount of time, generally ten minutes, due to things like evaporation lines?  

• 1 month ago

All OTC pregnancy tests are the same, they are testing the same thing and there really is no difference between a dollar store test and a $30 digital test... the tests at the doctors office are more similar to the dollar tests. Tests are to be read in the time frame stated on the package. Why? Evaporation. When it sits around for an hour just haphazardly tossed in the trash it is drying out, the urine is moving through the testing area, dyes are interacting with each other and the air, etc. Wait a few days, do another test first thing in the morning and read it in the window indicated on the package.

• 1 month ago

No.  What you saw an hour later is called an evaporation line.  All tests will develop this line.  Trust the test that you take first thing in the morning and read at the time limit stated in the instructions.

If you think you might be pregnant, feel free to wait a couple more days before re-testing. The HCG hormone will double in 2-3 days, so if your period hasn't arrive, the test should be more accurate.  No point in taking a home pregnancy test if your period isn't at least a week late.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tulip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not pregnant.......

• sarah
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If no lines at all showed up after the first three minutes, the test was defunct. The lines that showed up afterward were evaporation lines. If by "nothing showed up," you mean there was only one line, the test was negative.

At nine days late, a negative result is almost certainly reliable. Don't doubt the test just because it's cheap -- I tested positive on a $1 test at two days late. Doctors' offices, emergency rooms, and pregnancy centers all use the cheap, off-brand tests, too; they're not out dropping big bucks on Clear Blue or First Response.

I'd be willing to bet that you are NOT pregnant, but if your period doesn't show up, wait a few days and test again. Apparently, it's best to use first morning urine, so make sure you do this (although at nine days late, it really shouldn't matter much).

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That test was rendered unusable once you trashed it.  You cannot go back after an hour and expect the test to be reliable.  If it first read negative, that is your actual result.  If you still have doubts, go to your doctor for a blood test...those don't fail. 

• 1 month ago

It is called evaporation lines after an hour so not pregnant - unless you tested before period is few days late

• ...Show all comments
    • Edna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

mia:  If you took a test 9 days after you missed a period, the test would never show "negative" if you were pregnant.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.