Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

How does the scriptures indicate that Jehovah uses his foreknowledge selectively?

please read Genesis chapter 22 verse 12

God's name is Jehovah. it is not I AM, that is in the movies

• BJ

All the arguments in support of predestination are based on the supposition that since God undeniably has the power to foreknow and determine future events, he must foreknow everything, including the future actions of every individual.

Is this supposition sound, however? What God reveals in his Holy Scriptures indicates otherwise.

For example, the Scriptures say that God put Abraham to the test by commanding him to sacrifice his son Isaac as a burnt offering.

When Abraham was about to sacrifice Isaac, God stopped him and said: “Now I do know that you are God-fearing in that you have not withheld your son, your only one, from me.” Genesis 22:1-12

Would God have made that statement if he knew in advance that Abraham would obey this command? Would it have been an honest test?

And yes, God's name is Jehovah.

Because there are different types of knowing. God knew that Abraham feared him in some sort of foreknowledge non-experiential sense. But God EXPERIENTIALLY knew once Abraham passed the test. Like, God knew all along that mankind would become totally wicked in the pre-flood world, but it took on a different character when it became experiential:

Genesis 6:6

"And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

We experience this in our own life. As a kid you know you're going to get in trouble because you broke something, but then it feels different and more real once you actually get in trouble.

First of all, he uses the original name of God, he is not called Jehovah, but when Moses asked for God's name, the answer was, "I am who I am ... I AM sent to you ... The LORD [Yahweh], the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob sent [Moses]". (Exodus 3:13-16).

And then, God put Abraham to the test, to see if he loved him more than his son, and then, let's all see how the story turned out! God stopped Abraham's hand, and he spared his son's life, God blessed him and gave him the blessing on all his descendants.

• TeeM

You need a better translation.  The God of Abraham never told Moses, "I am who I am... I am".

check out scripture4all.org for what was said.

• But Jehovah’s angel called to him from the heavens and said: “Abraham, Abraham!” 

David said God made mankind a 'little lower than the angels'