My girlfriend's brother forcing her to marry to another guy?

Few points about us:

1. My gf and I have been in a serious relationship since the past 1 year.

2. We have almost 100% compatibility.

3. We love each other greatly and have discussed about getting married as soon as I get a good paying job.

The problem is that her brother is insisting her to marry another dude who happens to be rich. She has denied them so many times earlier, even told them that she has a bf but the brother seems adamant to change her mind. He is even brainwashing their mom and dad. I cant even go to her place right now cuz Im in another city busy with my own project. Im having one heck of a nightmare at the moment and can't even concentrate on my engineering project. Please leave suggestions. Thankyou.

• Tj

She needs to stand up to him and tell him to F off. It is her life to live, not his. If he like the rich guy so much, he can marry him, it is legal now.

In a normal environment forced marriage is a crime. But without knowing where this is happening it's pretty hard to advise you. Also in a normal place and assuming you're both adults you could just take off, elope and never speak to your families again.

• Im from India. Thanks for the advice, been thinking about the same.

is she not an adult? nobody can force anyone to marry someone they don't want to. maybe this is just her way of dumping you.

• She is an adult. Also thanks for the advice and I am positive she is not thinking of dumping me anytime soon👍

Are you in the US? She can and may marry anyone she wishes. As a matter of fact, the purpose of having an officiant ask you to repeat vows to one another (flowery or  plain) is precisely to make sure no one is being forced to marry against his or her will.

"Ashley, do you want to marry Pat?" and "Pat, do you want to marry Ashley?" and answers in the affirmative, plus a valid marriage license are pretty much all there is to it. The rest is theater and window dressing.

You call her your girlfriend. I suggest, since you seem distressed by this turn of events, that you actually propose marriage, so that you can refer to your relationship as engaged.

• No dude im not from US but thanks for the suggestion 👍

• PR

Marry her with little money, or get a better paying job.

Of course, if she wants to marry you, she should be willing to work it out with you. Ask her if she is serious about your relationship, and what she wants/needs.

• Youre totally right about that. Im searching for a good paying job atm. Thanks

• PAMELA

She should report the brother to the police, forced marriage is illegal and she cannot be made to marry anyone that she does not want to.

• Woah great idea haha. Was thinking the same