None ya asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Healthy cat food (dry)?

It’s so hard to find a decent healthy dry cat food brand. We feed ours Purina one urinary tract but recently switched to their metabolic dry food. Is purina s good brand? What are some other suggestions? Don’t tell me to ask my vet because half the time I think they’re full of crap. Also, we prefer their food to NOT be grain free

I took a cat in that was homeless and fed him One. I also gave him can food. With the can food I would stir in water to make a gravy. I also fed him my meat, chicken, pork and fish. He had been on the street for a while. After feeding him for awhile I saw him transform into a really healthy looking cat. Most noticeably was his whispers. His hair got so shiny and smooth. They need to add probiotics so the poop doesn't smell so much.

Source(s): me
  • Ocimom

I would not recommend any dry food if that is all you are feeding.  I would recommend you feed quality canned food and if you want to add a little dry on top fine.  Good food at a reasonable price can be found at Tractor Supply Co. Their 4Health brand of canned and dry is very good food.  

• Ken S

They are full of it when it comes to nutrition and there is no such thing as healthy dry food. That is an oxymoron. learn about nutrition here

www.catinfo.org

LOL of course you do which is why you feed crappy grocery store food.

There's no such thing as "healthy dry cat food" UNLESS it is grain free. Cats are obligate carnivores and need MEAT not cereal. Healthiest of all would be a raw diet.

If you're that poor you can't afford grain free then you shouldn't have gotten a cat.

• None ya4 weeks agoReport

Who said I was poor? We prefer it not to be grain free that’s a personal choice

I believe in a high quality food as a preventative to sickness and vet bills.  I feed mine Solid Gold, Katz n Flocken.  I also provide them (my two cats) with RO water with a drop of Concentrace Trace Minerals in a small bowl.  If the bowl is larger, 2 drops.  Tap water is undrinkable, where I live anyway.

Source(s): Owner of cats for decades.

I'm just gonna leave this here

https://catinfo.org/

I have two elderly cats.  They ate Fromm for years, but now one has kidney disease and the other has some digestive issues.  One is eating Science Diet food, the other eats Royal Canin.

• Maxi

Purina is a poor and cheaply made brand and I certainly wouldn't ever recommend feeding any cat kibble as feeding dry causes too many health issues

feed your cat wet food. there is no good dry food, no matter how much u pay for it. any wet food is better than dry food and the best of course to feed your cat real food - meat of all sorts. but modern cats do not eat it for some reason. mine doesn't