Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 3 months ago

What are good staple foods for a leopard gecko? ?

I’ve been feeding him mostly mealworms because he’s an albino gecko and he’s very nearsighted/blind and can’t properly hunt crickets. I want to give him a diverse nutritional diet. I hear a lot of contradicting information on feeder roaches, Calci worms, horn worms and even pinkie mice. 

Does anyone know anything other than mealworms that what I can feed him as a staple? 

Mine love the compost bin. Well, the geckos aren't really mine. They are wild, just in my bin. They seem to love the table scraps - fruit & veggie scraps, on occasion, leaves. No citrus peels.

A varied diet is best. You can feed him both crickets and mealworms. Just put him in a small container when feeding and it can catch its own crickets.You can also hand feed him crickets using a pair of stainless steel forceps. Just remember to dust the crickets with calcium powder. A tiny amount of multivitamin can also help.

BTW, albinos can see clearly since there is nothing wrong with the lens and retina. Their main problem is that there is no pigment inside the eye to absorb light, so they are less tolerant of bright light than non-albinos. The lack of pigment also makes it more susceptible to cancer causing UV light. Blue-eyed folks have no pigment in their eye and they are more susceptible to eye cancer. As long as you keep light levels low,, especially during feeding time, your gecko will be able to catch crickets easily.