promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How did people watch an opera like Wagner's Ring Cycle when it was 17 hrs long?

How did that work?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You don't watch the entire thing in one sitting. You attend on a series of nights. That's always been the case.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • RJ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Wagner's "Ring" was not intended to be watched in one sitting.  

The "Ring" is comprised of four separate operas: "Das Rheingold," "Die Walkure" "Siegfried" and "Gotterdammerung."  

Opera companies present each opera individually, with "Das Rheingold" being performed on one day and followed on another day by "Die Walkure."  "Siegfried" and "Gotterdammerung" are then performed on separate days.  

Source(s): I have watched about 10 complete "Ring" cycles during the past 40 years
  • Mike
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There are 4 separate operas. I saw Rheingold (#1) about 30 years ago and Twilight (#4) a year ago. I call #4 Twilight because I'm afraid to try to spell Gotterdaemerung.

• 1 month ago

maybe they taped it so they could watch it a little at a time

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Brian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Pretty much the same way it works now.

• 1 month ago

Usually over a few days - unless you are music students in a college apartment with a ton of food, drinks, and weed.  Then you do it in one huge rush.  Another weekend, all the Mahler symphonies.  Bach cantatas (selected list). The rest I do not remember because / there was a LOT of weed. And it was the Sixties.  And there were entire weekends devoted to PDQ Bach.  Still can sing a ton of those . . . With you eyes back as nuns, like nuns they cross themselves each day . . .

• 1 month ago

The Ring Cycle is usually performed over multiple days.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.