If present living expanses exceed our social security check,isn't the USA congress going to double it to meet the need of elderly people?

Don't count on it. 

• Ann

The only thing the "USA Congress" doubles is the salary every so often of its own members. 

There are 62 million people on SS. This also effects even more when SS benefits go up or down because of the family members of those recipients. That means if anyone in congress messes with mom and dads monthly checks, there will be a long line at the voting booths to replace them in congress. Social Security is not a government subsidiary because it was and is funded by workers over a long period of time and the proceeds placed in the Treasury Dept.. Social Security pays it's own way. The government just makes sure it goes out to where it is suppose to go.

No.  Social security was never intended to pay for all of retirement's expenses.

• Snid

Well, that's the funniest joke I've heard all day.  Just the opposite.  It's going to get cut.  But, I suspect you already knew that.

• RP

That big an increase is highly unlikely.

• rick

The house might, but Moscow Mitch is dedicated to cutting SS, so don't expect anything, to get through the senate.

• No. They are looking to decrease it. Trump has said he will do it after the election - not that it is within his power to do it on his own. If youre expenses are too high, you need to budget more. Or if you are a fan of Bloomburg, just die. There is very little respect for older people in this day and age.

• Why?  social security is just one part of a retirement plan.  You should have a retirement from your job or some type of pension plan.  I am retired from the U.S. Army after 21 years, Worked at a government job for 20 years, has a small disability check which they gave me, that I never asked for and Saving Plan from work also.  I get 5 checks per month from Uncle Sam.  I planned well,  Everyone should.

i would hope so

• rick

Hope buys very few groceries.