Tim asked in Social SciencePsychology · 7 months ago

Why do highly intelligent people have mental disorders?

Is the fact that they are geniuses the cause? Or is it something else 

I would argue against them being "mental disorders" as they can be beneficial rather than detrimental.  The traditional measures of human intelligence are closely connected with certain factors.  Gifted individuals are more likely to be on the autism spectrum, have anxiety response issues,auditory processing problems, demonstrate either obsessive compulsive or attention deficit disorders, yes.  However, they tend to have mild versions of these sorts of disorders that allow for increased concentration and processing.  They tend to have asynchronous development - able to do advanced calculus at 10 years old, but incapable of tying their shoes.

• Zirp

sometimes the cause is that our world is insane

Because they tend to be introspective, deep thinkers. Outwardly focused people (Extroverts) don't suffer from mental distress as much as introverts, in my opinion. They are too busy telling others what to do, criticizing them and trying to run their lives to get bogged down in their own selves. 

anyone can have it whether theyre smart or not

I have to admit the possibility there is something going on here, even if I do not have the intelligence to understand what it is or the ability to do anything about it. i think we are both in the same situation.

It’s simply not true. Just a big sweeping statement.