Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

What do you think of the name Michael Evangeline for a girl?

Especially if she's a tomboy? I want my daughter to have this name because it has a ring to it which screams gender equality and I support this too much to avoid giving her a unisex name which was always considered to be more of a male name.

You're talking to someone who legally changed their name themselves as an adult because I did not agree with my parent's naming me based purely on descendence and tradition (was named only after my grandfather). And based on what you're saying, isn't the act of naming a child in general without input from the child always inherently selfish because the child cannot provide its own input in terms of what it would like as a name?

I honestly hope that you are trolling me as well. Everything in YA in recent years is considered an act of trolling by false standards when you base your accusation of myself trolling directly on your opinion and the Y / A mainstream which is not remotely what is outside.

What and how exactly am I trolling with this question? What are my malicious intentions while asking this question? When a girl is born, how is it known if she'll be as feminine and cookie-cutter as the traditional cookie-cutter names that she is normally given? It is impossible to tell whether she will be feminine, normal, or tomboy-like unless their is brainwashing and hypnosis involved.

And you are speaking to someone who legally changed their name at age 19. My parent's did not support this. I learned from this. I would personally assist my daughter with legally changing her name as a minor if she pleaded with me to change it or after she turned 18 and I would not be offended if she decided against having this name within reason. I am not a troll.

• Snid

It's really your choice.  As a grown woman with a male first name I gotta say I am not a fan of Michael.

Ignore the trolls.  If you love the name, use it!

• Starchaser

If I have a daughter, I want one so bad, then I might just use it for her middle name.

• Michael is not considered unisex. "A ring to it" and "gender equality" are not the same thing. I'm all for a boy name on a girl, but Michael takes it a bit too far, I think. Why not Michaela and let her nickname herself Mike or Mikey if she's such a tomboy? (Don't know how you're sure she'll even be one, but go off sis)

Idiotic. Stop pushing this crap on kids, Michael is a MAN'S name. 

Ruby Evangeline

Sapphire Evangeline

It sounds stupid. Makayla or Michaela would be better 

• Starchaser

I'd love to hear the full name of all the baseless dumbasses saying that it sounds stupid. You are probably named after businesses.

You can spell it as Michaela. Pronounced mikayla

Or pronounce it Mic-Kale

Put please dont name your daughter Michael with the male pronunciation.

• Starchaser

What are you having my daughter for me? Are you a surrogate? Otherwise your concern is illness. I will not compromise my belief based on your weakness of what could be a beautiful and strong girl's name.

Michael isn't unisex. It's male.

Would you considered a name like Elizabeth or Mary for a son? If the answer is no this isn't about equality. It's about male being seen as strong and good and female as weak and bad.

• Starchaser

Jennifer. I care the most about my daughter's (if I have one) acceptance of the name and how she makes it her own through her own choices. If that involves her asking me to take her to get it changed to "Audreigh" than I will support her decision as long as she seems reasonable in her explanation.

• Eva

Don't foist your politics on your unborn child. Parents who give their children unusual names doom those children to being bullied throughout their school life. It's a shame kids can't choose their own name when they're old enough.

• Starchaser

And you are speaking to someone who legally changed their name at age 19. My parent's did not support this. I learned from this. I would personally assist my daughter with legally changing her name as a minor if she pleaded with me to change it or after she turned 18 and I would not be offended.

Name your child what you want but your reasoning sounds rather odd and childish. I agree you come across as a troll or someone very young & uneducated.

• Starchaser

It isn't but all of the reasons which anyone has used to advise against this are based on cookie-cutter advocacy and limits.

• Nancy

How will you know if she's a tomboy when she's an infant?

• Starchaser

And how do you know that she will be feminine and cookie-cutter for her sex as opposed to being a tomboy? There is no way of knowing any if this which makes your questioning of my decision an invalid one.