jayden asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My 3 month old dog just ate a dead mouse, what should I do?

My do just ate a dead mouse and I don’t know what to do.Please be as urgent as possible and don’t know what this will do to him

Stop starving your dog.

• Ocimom

I'd have him at the vet's office.  IF the mouse was dead from poison (like DCon), then the dog can be poisoned too.  If its a mouse caught outside in a field, its probably harmless - worse thing is your dog may throw up.

If the mouse was on it's way out via rat killer, your dog MUST see your vet.   Otherwise I'd want to worm him in case of tapeworm.   But get a stool sample tested first so he's wormed for what's needed.   Given his young age.

• Bort

It's unlikely for him to get sick or anything from eating a dead mouse unless it was dead for a while and was decomposing. If it was a fresh kill he'll be fine. If it was decomposing already or you question it call the vet tomorrow and see what they say. They might ask to bring him in to have his stomach pumped just in case.

• patty

should be ok unless the mouse had some pest killer it had ingested before death

• KaleyK

Can happen but super rare

You HAVE to take him to a vet.  The possibility the mouse had eaten POISON (as in warfarin, or arsenic) is too great & if so, the dog will DIE w/o IMMEDIATE treatment.

• KaleyK

NO ... the dog would have to eat many mice for that to even be a possibility

Take him to the vet.

Nothing unless the mouse was dead for awhile with maggots crawling around.

If the mouse wasn't dead due to ingesting poison have your dog checked for worms in a couple weeks. If there is any chance that the mouse ate poison call your veterinarian immediately. Many a house cat has died from eating a poisoned mouse and there isn't anything a vet can do about if not take immediately to the office. Same for dogs I suspect.

• KaleyK

You don't need to do anything.  Your dog will either puke it up or poop it out.