jayden asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My 3 month old dog just ate a dead mouse, what should I do?

My do just ate a dead mouse and I don’t know what to do.Please be as urgent as possible and don’t know what this will do to him

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

    Stop starving your dog.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    I'd have him at the vet's office.  IF the mouse was dead from poison (like DCon), then the dog can be poisoned too.  If its a mouse caught outside in a field, its probably harmless - worse thing is your dog may throw up.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

    If the mouse was on it's way out via rat killer, your dog MUST see your vet.   Otherwise I'd want to worm him in case of tapeworm.   But get a stool sample tested first so he's wormed for what's needed.   Given his young age.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    It's unlikely for him to get sick or anything from eating a dead mouse unless it was dead for a while and was decomposing. If it was a fresh kill he'll be fine. If it was decomposing already or you question it call the vet tomorrow and see what they say. They might ask to bring him in to have his stomach pumped just in case.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • patty
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    should be ok unless the mouse had some pest killer it had ingested before death

    • KaleyK
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      Can happen but super rare

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

    You HAVE to take him to a vet.  The possibility the mouse had eaten POISON (as in warfarin, or arsenic) is too great & if so, the dog will DIE w/o IMMEDIATE treatment.

    • KaleyK
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

      NO ... the dog would have to eat many mice for that to even be a possibility

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Take him to the vet.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Nothing unless the mouse was dead for awhile with maggots crawling around.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    If the mouse wasn't dead due to ingesting poison have your dog checked for worms in a couple weeks. If there is any chance that the mouse ate poison call your veterinarian immediately. Many a house cat has died from eating a poisoned mouse and there isn't anything a vet can do about if not take immediately to the office. Same for dogs I suspect.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • KaleyK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    You don't need to do anything.  Your dog will either puke it up or poop it out.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.