I'm thinking of getting a car from a dealer but my family keeps telling me it s bad idea and the car might break down?

I've been dreaming of owning an SUV, but I only have $1000 in cash. Its not enough to get one off craigslist. So, I thought that I could get one from a dealer since I probably have enough for down payment. 

But my family keeps telling me that the car might break down and I will still owe money. But dealerships do inspections and there's a year warranty unlike craigslist. But I'm not sure. is it a good idea or not. 

unfortunately, I need a car now and there's no time. I've seen these warranties. I didn't realize they are rare

Ive worked for dealers that don't use genuine parts.

it usually is a bad idea

Your budget will only buy you a

junker

of a SUV only fit for the scrap yard after a few short miles!

Your family is right, but also wrong.

They're right because it might break down, in fact it probably will break down.  Whether you buy something brand new for $75,000 or an old rust bucket for seventy-five bucks, it might break down on you.  And even if it doesn't completely die, it will need repairs some day.  No matter what you buy, no matter how much you spend buying it, you will have to pay for repairs some day.

But they're wrong about dealers vs. private sellers, because the vehicle you buy doesn't care who sells it to you.  It's going to break down some day, guaranteed.  

• Bort

Yes it's a far better idea to attempt buying a car from a dealer that comes with a warranty than of some joe from craigslist. Craigslist auto sales when they're sold by the owner are usually as-is sales. If it does have any issues the issues are your problem. Usually when you buy a vehicle from a dealer that has a warranty and you find something wrong within the first few days of having it they will generally fix it free of charge.

Rule #1: do not buy anything from Craig's List. Too many scammers are trying to unload junk. Rule #2: when you buy used vehicles, you take your chances. No car dealer is going to give a one year warranty on a used vehicle. Some dealers may sell extended warranties on some used vehicles. But you have to pay extra for that.

Either way could be good or bad. There is a wide range in quality of dealerships, and same with random people of CL. That said, nine times out of ten, you will pay more money for a car from a dealership, than you will from a private party. With either, I suggest having a mechanic look at the car. With a dealership, you can have something written into the contract that you have 72hrs to get it inspected and they can either fix any major issues or take the car back. They won't fix every little thing, though. For CL, I would arrange to have the inspection done before you pay.

You are also better off getting a private loan from your bank. You'll get a better rate, which means you'll pay less overall. All that said, not sure how much you are planning on taking out as a loan, but any SUV you buy for $1k is likely to need work done sooner or later. Cars that cheap tend to be older, and the older a car is, the more stuff starts to go wrong at once. Do your research because there is a danger of soemthing going wrong, you need to spend money you don't have to fix, and you lose the car, or you are stuck with a car that doesn't work but you are still paying for. That is a bad spot to be in.

• arther

the dealer will dud up a car to save himself money used car dealers are scum when you're a mechanic working for them. They skimp on every part possible. Ive worked for dealers that don't use genuine parts.

With having only $1,000 dollars you aren't ready to be a car owner.....

There's also insurance

Gas

Maintenance

• y

State laws govern what dealers can and can't sell you. You alwasy run the risk of buying a lemon. A dealership that has been around, in the community for a long time, is probably about as trustworthy as you are going to get.