Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 month ago

Would playing a banjo or mandolin in Canada get you yelled at?

From what I hear, Canadians associate musical genres like bluegrass, Celtic, country and folk with Donald Trump.

I suppose in Western Canada (which tends to be more American-friendly), the people would enjoy it, maybe bob their heads and dance to it. The people in Eastern Canada (who are notorious for hating everything related to America), however, would be outraged by that music. The Quebecois would be like "Sortez cet instrument misérable de Canada!" 

I guess playing a banjo, mandolin, fiddle or any acoustic stringed instrument in Canada (particularly the East) is no different to wearing a MAGA hat there.

So Canadian music is..what? Rap, hip hop, bubblegum pop, etc?

"From what I hear"; hear what and where? Why would you even care what Canadians do?

You heard wrong. Mandolins, and fiddles are super common in Canada. Have you never heard of the Cape Breton style of fiddling, or the Gwitch'in fiddling in the North?  Celtic style music is super popular in Canada, with it's best players being big stars here.

We may not care about Donald Trump, but, we do like our music!

• JuanB

You just can't play Dueling Bangos.  That is so Donald Trump!  But Kat Balluo is fine.  And Steve Martin is fine.  Other than Steve Martin and Kermit the frog.

• John

Only folks who don't know much about music act like that.  Don't need them at all......