Thivu94 asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

TokyoBike or BobbinBike? ?

I’m trying to decide between the TokyoBikes Bisou bike or BobbinBikes Beat bike. I’m planning to start cycling to work which is about a 5mile journey.

I like how the TokyoBike looks but I’m not entirely sold on the specification, however, there are many great reviews out there plus they have a store in London to test out their bikes.

The Bobbin bike seems to have better specs but doesn't have a store for me to try out their bikes. There are also not many reviews on the bike either.

Which of the two bikes would you recommend ? Any alternative suggestions would also be really appreciated :) . Thank you !

A wise person always test rides at least 3 to 4 bikes before making a purchase.  So...you've got that part right.  But, you never stated a price range.  Evans Cycles is showing about TEN locations in London.  Surely, one of them has to be close.  

Here's a list of all hybrid or "city bikes" - https://www.evanscycles.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes_c  Within those hundreds, one is bound to be right.  Forget about color or eye appeal.  Go for "fit & feel".  Which one just plain rides the best to you alone.    

• Thivu941 month agoReport

Thanks! I’m willing to fork out around £500. The Raleigh grand tour was on my list but when I visited the Evans store there was no stock so I didn’t get a chance to test ride it. The sales assistant showed me a bike that was equivalent in size and it seemed rather bulky which put me off. 

• pmt853

Choosing a bike is a very personal thing. Neither of these bikes would do it for me. If the specification tells you the colour of the tyres and saddle etc then you have to think that's not actually helpful infomation aboutt he quality of the product. Based on the prices quoted online I'd go for a hybrid for city use. Getting abike that you can test ride before you buy is the sensible thing to do, so well done on that. Remember to budget for helmet, lights, repair kit, locks etc. Check out other stores with an online presence like Evans or Tredz.

• Thivu941 month agoReport

Thanks, I’ve checked out both sites however, most of the bikes are very clunky or out of my budget. Ideally, I want something that looks nice but with substance. I’ve also been to a few bike stores but to no avail. I just don't want to end up paying too much for just a good-looking bike.