Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)English Football (Soccer) · 2 months ago

Why is the football season so long in the UK?

Something like 10-11 months it’s plus the champions league and other cup competitions amongst the premier league/Scottish league.

In Australia’s soccer (footbal) season is only 7 months which is pretty standard practically for every sport code.

In the UK wouldn’t players get exhausted after that long and wouldn’t the fans just get bored after a while especially if your team sucks.

• Ryan

Like SFC said more teams. More demand. Football is a British game, most popular sport over there. Aussie Rules is the most popular sport in Australia. In terms of watching you can tell me what is second but you guys are pretty good at rugby so maybe it's rugby. Australia's football season kicks off in the spring doesn't it? Plays through to the autumn or maybe early winter? I guess more people are likely to attend games when the weather is at it's best idk you know more about Aussie sports seasons than me. Here in Ireland our season lasts from Feb to October. I think sometimes cup finals might be played in November not sure. Our premier division only has 10 teams I think in Australia you've about the same. I think we have a mid season break somewhere but I think our season here starts in Feb to avoid playing through the winter which would have poor weather and probably lower crowds. I think the GAA season usually starts in January probably as well to avoid the rain, snow and frost that comes with winter but idk what winter is like in Australia 

• Cap1 month agoReport

I suppose it’s a cultural thing. Tbh the average Aussie doesn’t really care about club soccer/football only the internationals if the Socceroos do well. Otherwise it’s club NRL/Union/Aussie rules 

The simple answer is that there are more teams in the English League than any other.  People forget that England invented football - actually a team in Sheffield was the very first one - Sheffield FC.

• F

It's more like 12+ months. The 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons actually overlapped. The world cup final 2018 was played AFTER the first qualifying round of the Europa League for 2018-19.

• August

I would like to see it even longer and the likes of Liverpool can play their kids v Man City an Utd 

More teams in league plus numerous cup competitions

• Tavy

A q we women would like to know.

It's endless on TV.

UK

• F

The old endless football on TV moan. I could understand it when the TV had 3 channels and 2 of them had football on. TVs were expensive and most houses onlyhad one. Now there are 100+ channels and nearly everyone has 3 TVs, so this moan is out of date and rubbish.