Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Would I be wrong not to have any of my sisters as my maid of honor in my wedding?

I have 3 younger sisters. I’m getting married next year and I want all of my sisters to be in my wedding. The problem is I don’t want to hurt any of their feelings by choosing one to be my maid of honor. I don’t want it to appear like I have a “favorite” sister. Is it wrong of me to ask my best friend to be my maid of honor instead of one of my sisters? Will that look bad? I just don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. I REALLY deep down want my 2nd oldest sister to be my maid of honor but I’m afraid feelings might get hurt with my other sisters. What should I do? 

I would make whoever I want the maid of honor to be the maid of honor and then explain to the others why you chose that person and not them

Get them all together and discuss this.  If no one wants this 'role' - then find someone else.

• drip

Ask the women who you want as a you maid of honor and be done with it.  Your sister have to know not all of them are going to be the maiden of honor.  It is your wedding, when they get married helpfully you will tell them to pick whoever they want as MOH and not worrying about it. Quit making it a big deal. Everyone is going to be on the wedding party 

• Ocimom

Have your younger sisters as bridesmaids and your best friend as the MOH.

I have three sisters who all had me as their MOH.  None of them were in my wedding.  I didn't have any one stand up for me.  There was never a complaint but you know how your sisters may react obviously.  Two of my sisters remarried; one of the weddings she didn't have anyone stand up for her the other had one of us as maid of honor and the other as Matron of honor.  Our other sister was pregnant and didn't want to be in the wedding.  She divorced but didn't remarry.  My husband and I are still together.

All of this, including the idea of having a wedding party at all, is just old time tradition and people are going against the grain of history all the time in weddings. So have them all be "bridesmaids" or call them all "maids of honor". It doesn't really matter as they'd probably all being working together on the MOH duties anyway.

• sarah

It's YOUR wedding day, so it's YOUR choice who you want to be maid of honor. If you do pick one sister and the others get upset, that's their problem, not yours. I personally have never been a maid of honor, and I never had an issue with it; to me, being a bridesmaid at all is an honor.

You should do whatever you feel like doing. It's your wedding, your special day. no one should feel entitled to be your maid of honor just because you are siblings.

If you want your oldest sister to be the MOH then ask her and tell your other sisters that they can be part of the bridal party in other ways.

Ask whoever YOU want. This is the bride's choice.

NB you don't have to nominate a maid of honour; you could just have several bridesmaids.

Other than that you have to choose one person to officially witness the marriage license, what is the difference?     They can all be MOH or they can all be bridesmaids.  Or you can do as you asked and have your BF be your MOH and the others be bridesmaids.   The idea that there is some kind of hierarchy in your wedding party is false.   Your wedding party are ALL honored guests and really, their "duties" are the same (buy/wear the dress they're supposed to and show up to the rehearsal and wedding on time). 

I have no clue what Abiyah is talking about.  There is no such thing as a Chief Bridesmaid.   Bridesmaids are not employees with supervisors, nor does one have any more authority than the other.   As I said, the only requirements are to buy/wear their dress and show up on time.