Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Why do some parents do this ?

I work at a grocery store. I am only 18 years old btw. But I’ve noticed that when a single mom come in with their kids they would show them how much the grocery bill is and tell their kids how expensive they are. Like I get confused because their kids did not ask to be here. Why do their kids need to know how much the grocery bill cost? Like stop having kids if you’re going to complain how expensive they are. So many families have a difficult time conceiving and here are people like these complaining about how kids are too much. It sucks because I feel like those same people are the ones to force their kids to get a job when their 16 to help them pay the bills. Sad. Don’t have kids if you’re going to complain. Any other ideas on why?

cause they like to complain to their kids about how much they cost, i dont think they should be doing that either

Probably that mother is showing her kids how much groceries cost so they will have a decent idea how to shop when it comes time to be out on their own. It is called properly preparing a kid for adulthood. As far as saying the kids are 'expensive', I really don't agree with that, that doesn't sound good, but there is nothing wrong with teaching a kid how to handle money and budget, and 'forcing' a kid to have a job at 16 is the best thing anyone can do for their kids. That way they learn that things they want don't just magically appear, and if they want something, they need to learn how to budget and save for it, so that they learn.

They are trying to teach their children to be thankful for the things that they have and that everything costs money that you have to work for.  They may also be having an issue with their child being wasteful and are trying to show them just how much money things cost to hopefully help them to understand that it's rude to be wasteful.

• not at all in my opinion

I don't think this is a big deal, esteem since some groceries are not cheap.

How do you know they're a single mother? Do all single mothers wear badges in your part of the world? Maybe a special hat?

When my oldest turns 16 in a few weeks, he'll be getting a job. It'll be the same for our other two children as well.

We don't NEED them to work and they certainly won't be helping to pay bills, but we want them to appreciate having to earn their money (outside of their chores) and the pride that comes with it. We've also promised them that whatever they've saved toward a car, we'll match it when they turn 17. It's not about complaining about having kids. One of my responsibilities as a parent is to teach my kids, who will one day not be kids anymore, about financial responsibility and work ethic. 

• not

It's what teaching looks like. People that don't want kids don't teach them. Kids that don't get taught are being held back when starting their lives, left to make all the mistakes that where made before them. Clueless on mundane regular adult tasks. Why jump into the world at 18 and learn the hard way how much money you need to eat?

It is sad to be poor and stuck helping the household along while young. That's why someone who lived that life would teach their kids.  

It's called teaching.

It's called mind your own business.

It's called you're not a parent you have no clue about parenting.

Trying to show your kids the value of money by saying how much you’re paying for the groceries you just went around getting together isn’t a bad thing. But yeah complaining to your kid directly in the store that you have to spend this much money to support them is pretty awful I don’t know why they would do that, other then I guess that they don’t have a partner to complain to so the kid is the next best thing.