Painting over faded/cracked walls using original paint in rental property?

Hi,

This question is for landlords, or anyone who had an experience like this... I moved into a place recently and stupidly started doing a few touch-ups that I wasn't supposed to do according to the lease. I basically painted over a few wall sections with faded/missing paint. The color didn't quite match so I decided to call over a professional to do touchups using the original color.

I'm worried that when my landlord sees these changes that they might not return my security deposit once my lease is up. Technically, I will have made the apartment more marketable because the professional will paint over sections that were entirely bereft of paint. And I heard that as long as the paint matches the original, it should be fine... But will the landlord be angry that I started painting in the first place when I wasn't supposed to?

I doubt he will care if it doesn't look bad & the color is the same..

You knowingly violated the lease = they would have every right to be little miffed.  If it was the original color & done professionally then they cannot keep your deposit for it though.  

If it all looks good, how will they even know?  

• Bort

You should always ask permission no matter what you do to property that isn't your own. The landlord would be ridiculous if they were upset a tenant made improvements. These were improvements, you didn't make any drastic changes. While it may be against the 'rules' in the lease agreement they're probably not going to be upset.

I had an apartment where the bathroom floor was cheap tile and whoever started doing it never finished it but left enough tile in the closet for it to be completed so I did it and the landlord was extatically happy. I didn't get anything other than a thank you but it was cool to be appreciated.

If it looks professionally done  (not slopped and spattered) and it is the original color, pretty much spackle color, then it will be fine.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

i would just talk to your landlord about it

Depends how close the new paint is to the existing.  They could claim they have to repaint and withhold part of your damage deposit.

Generally not angry, as such.

Just that the Landlord has to do any repair or maintenance.

And, that means the Landlord can Keep the Security Deposit "to return the property to its original condition".

All such repairs must be approved or done by the Landlord.

You should have noted any needed repairs or changes during the walk through before signing the lease.

Maybe you could ask about such repairs, in writing and get permission, in writing, to do them.

It could be a "lease breaker" so get to it as soon as possible.

Well, he will or he won't. Just go ahead with the lease and when its over, see if he complains. What else can you do?

• Dze

well .. it better be right ..if you got paint all over the windows and carpet theres going to be a problem ..