New fridge? Or replace compressor?

I have a Kenmore Elite French door fridge with outside controls. I've had it for 10 years now. And the compressor doesnt work anymore. The repairmen had an estimated 700 dollars in repair. Or I could get another fridge for 1,100 dollars (new).

Is there a piston shaft and a nut crank.  I'm no expert but I think these are important.

You should buy a New Fridge.

Do you have a question?

get a new fridge because there will be other thing on the old fridge that have almost had it like the door seel for example 

Try asking another repairman.  Chances are good the "timer" is worn out.

Fridges work like the automatic washer.  It has a timer in it so when you switch it on stuff happens for a certain length of time before it switches to a different action.

My fridge has gone through 2 timers(each lasting 15 years)  When my fridge fails again, I will replace the timer( an electrical part) for a new one and turn it on. No need to recharge the unit, no compressor motor. Just 1 $85 part. Fridge works like new.

Most fridges this is a replaceable part.   Some new fridges, they do not make a replacement timer. Then you have to  buy a new fridge.

Or go to an appliance repair shop and ask if the fridge make and model and year you know own has a replacement timer?  Most times they have to see the timer (as there is 200 different timer styles and they need to put in the same unit)  There may be a YouTube video on refrigerator repair Timer replacement,   Takes about an hour of work.

• F

I would always replace at that age if the repair cost was 50% of a new appliance.

I would definitely get a new one before throwing away 700 on an old one that is still going to be old (and probably nasty).

If your fridge is is mounted in a hole (like with cabinetry/walls around it) make sure to carefully measure the opening before buying a new fridge.  They've gotten considerably bigger over the last couple of years.

I thought I had measured mine correctly, but when the delivery guys got there I had to quickly cut a piece of trim off the bottom of a cabinet to make it fit.

Definitely buy a new refrigerator. Newer ones are more energy efficient, use much less electricity and have better features. And a new fridge should last you 20 years or more. The investment in new will be well worth the extra cost. TIP: the electric company will come and take your old fridge out of your house if the place you buy the new one won't remove it. 

Replace it                    

if that 1100 is for the same quality, i'd buy the new one.